Hi Mountain Jerky King

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Hey all. I was gifted a Hi Mountain Jerky King set up from a friend after I helped him on some wiring.

DSCN4437.jpg

Now, I've seen these before. And the one from TSM. But was dubious about how well they worked. So didn't buy one.
So, I opened it up. And rubbed the board down with mineral oil as recommended. I used butcher block treatment.
I didn't take any pictures while using it. I used the 1/4" side of the board. And it worked great. Much better then I thought. The slices were uniform. And the knife just glided through the meat with little effort. This is easy!
Then, I went and mixed the Mesquite seasoning to it. And let it sit for 24 hours. This morning. I put the meat on my jerky trays. I put it in a preheated 325 degree oven until the meat hit 160 degrees. Then lowered the oven temp to 170 and left the oven door cracked open. It was done in 7 hours.
DSCN4452.jpg

I've had the Hi Mountain jerky mixes before. But this was the first time with their mesquite kit. It is very good. Ignore the pickles. I just got done making them too!
If you are just doing a few pounds of jerky. Then this jerky cutting board and knife is the perfect answer instead of breaking out the meat slicer. Then having to take it apart and clean it. It only took a few minutes to do this 3.5 pound batch. And only two things to clean. The knife came with a pretty good edge on it. But I still ran it through the sharpener. Though it really didn't need it. If I knew then what I know now. I would have bought one ages ago. So much easier than using just a knife. Or using, then cleaning the meat slicer. I give this a 5/5 with no cons.

Great looking Jerky Steve! I’m interested in getting one of these jerky boards now. You’re such a bad influence on me...First it’s a jerky cannon and now it’s this.

This would be perfect for smaller batches, especially when you want to try different flavors. I usually do batches in excess of 5lbs. Then it’s a workout with the knife or breaking down the slicer.

Reactions: Steve H
The timing of this is pretty cool. I just got a bunch of meat out of the freezer to defrost. Plan on making some jerky over the weekend. I've made tons of the stuff over the years but what you did here looks fantastic. Beautiful color on that stuff for sure.

Big LIKE buddy!!
Robert

Great looking Jerky Steve! I’m interested in getting one of these jerky boards now. You’re such a bad influence on me...First it’s a jerky cannon and now it’s this.

This would be perfect for smaller batches, especially when you want to try different flavors. I usually do batches in excess of 5lbs. Then it’s a workout with the knife or breaking down the slicer.
Thank you! Really, for small batches it can't be beat for ease of use and clean up. Love this thing!

The timing of this is pretty cool. I just got a bunch of meat out of the freezer to defrost. Plan on making some jerky over the weekend. I've made tons of the stuff over the years but what you did here looks fantastic. Beautiful color on that stuff for sure.

Big LIKE buddy!!
Robert
Thanks Robert! What flavor(s) you thinking about doing?

That looks great Steve, nice job! What cut of beef do you use for jerky, and is it a hard bite like some or a little easier on the chew like Pemmican. RAY

That looks great Steve, nice job! What cut of beef do you use for jerky, and is it a hard bite like some or a little easier on the chew like Pemmican. RAY
I used a top round roast for this. I usually use eye round or london broil. This is a bit easier to chew then others. Probably because it is thick cut. I can't compare it to Pemmican. Never had it.

That jerky looks good and the pickles actually give you a good background. Since you are doing jerky and already do a lot of pickles, what's next? Pickled jerky?
Thanks. And as a matter of fact. I have this on the way.
s-l1600.jpg

Lol!!

Reactions: bbqbrett
Great job!
My (I call him son-in-law) neighbor across the street and his family process hundreds of pounds of beef, pork, and venison every year.
They use Hi Mountain for jerky. Not sure which formula. (BTW, they use Grandpa Josh's for sausage.)

I was hoping to make a batch of dilly beans this year. They are the universal "pickle" in my pantry.
Unfortunately the green beans are coming during wheat harvest at my job.

Reactions: Steve H
Great job!
My (I call him son-in-law) neighbor across the street and his family process hundreds of pounds of beef, pork, and venison every year.
They use Hi Mountain for jerky. Not sure which formula. (BTW, they use Grandpa Josh's for sausage.)
Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky