Hi mountain buck board bacon?

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by 338lapua, Jan 21, 2016.

1. 338lapua

338lapua Fire Starter

If I use hi mountain to cure my pork butt can I cold smoke it or do I need to hot smoke it? I have looked for the answer using the search function and failed.

2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Does the seasoning have cure in it? I think it does. If it does you can cold smoke it.

Look at the ingredient list.

3. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hi mountain cure and seasoning packets are exactly what they say....   A cure packet and a seasoning packet....  

If you used the packet of cure on the recommended size hunk of meat, or weighed out accordingly, let sit in the refer for 8-10 days or so....   you are good to go....

The packet should tell how much nitrite, % of nitrite in the packet, and how much meat to add it to or something like that...

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you use Hi Mountain, be sure to give it a "Salt-Fry Test" before smoking it.

Out of all my curing & smoking, a Buckboard Bacon that I used "Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning" on was the only thing I ever had to soak to reduce the extra salt flavor.

After that I went with Tender Quick, and that has never happened again.

Here's an easy one I did not long ago:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/238318/buckboard-bacon-step-by-step

Bear

5. 338lapua

338lapua Fire Starter

Thanks to all of y'all. Once again this fabulous forum has come to the rescue. I ordered the hi mountain today and have my amazen smoker waiting to go. Gonna do my first bacon in as soon as I can.