hi from oz + a major problem ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqchris

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Aust (down under)
Hello everyone,

never formally introduced myself, So here goes.
My name is Chris and im 24 from Sydney Australia, im currently full time employed as a developer at a digital marketing company, i play basketball during the week and love rugby union. After coming back from a trip to the states last year i fell in love with smoked beef brisket - i had never seen/heard or eaten that before as in australia grilling is just so much more common. Anyways after much research and debate weather to try a diy smoker or buying locally (too ex) and buying from the states i did buy a vertical smoker off ebay and paid the hefty shipping fee (double what i paid for the smoker itself!) view it here: http://tinyurl.com/yunrax

But..... (cue suspense music) i think i may have rushed into the purchase too soon as reading the manual last nit (arrived yesterday) it says propane only fuel to be used. Ummm well we dont have propane here we use natural gas.

What to do?
can i use natural gas to power the model if a convertor is available?

can anyone that is knowledgeable about this sort of stuff please help me out

Thanks and its great to be here :P
(it will be even better if im able to smoke)

bbqchris
Welcome to SMF from up over !!!

I converted a natural gas stove/oven to propane. I thought I would have to put in smaller orafice's because propane burns "hotter" than natural gas. But on the stove's burners and pilot lights and the oven's pilot light I found small screws that adjusted the flame. I am unfamiliar with the burner on your smoker but it may be something to look for or have a professional look at for you?

Have you thought about contacting the mfgr and asking if they have a conversion for your unit? If they dont, do a search on google and see what you come up with on converting a propane grill to natural gas. Most likely it will involve drilling your burner holes 1/16 bigger along with modding your regulater. I dont think it will be to hard.

ok i may have just jumped to conclusions... just got off the phone with a bbq gas company here in sydney and he was telling me that what you guys call propane over in the states is the same as our LPG (we get LPG gas bottles to run bbqs etc) which is different to natural gas.

soooo... hopefully all is well. First thing saturday morning im off to the bbq shop for some woodchips and a new gas bottle - i would be doing it right now if it didnt have to be here in front of the computer at work :(

keep you guys posted on the results :)

thanks for all the input to date as well.... and so fast if i may say!

Technically that's Liquefied Petroleum Gas... but that's just splittin' hairs. It is the same stuff. LPG, LP-gas, propane, autogas, all the same stuff.

Welcome aboard BBQChris!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Auto gas Rich-HMMMMM been outta town on job-motel room with my brother-somtimes I think He lives off dutches beans-PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky