Hi from England

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonny m

Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
England - Essex
Hi

My name is Jonny and I live in England just outside London in Essex and I'm pleased to join what I understand is THE best forum for smoking.

I've got a Pro-Q Frontier bullet smoker with an additional third ring and to date I've mainly cold smoked cured salmon, pork belly for bacon, trout, cheese and salt with great success - especially the bacon and salmon which I've done without any nitrates or nitrates and I'm still here and not poisoned anyone yet!  I've also had a go a hot smoking lamb and will be having a go at some eel when I next get down to Billingsgate Fish Market in London - hence my avatar - once tried never forgotten!

As it's getting a bit warmer over here I'm stocking up on woods to do some hot smoking and hope to get lots of good tips and advice from the experts and novices like myself here.

I also grow chilli peppers and If anyone is interested I give you some advice on growing them or if you live locally to me even a plant or two to get you going including some very unusual varieties from Japan and I should have free seeds for 40+ varieties by the end of the season to share.  I hope to hear from you.

Bye for now

Jonny

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a wet and rainy day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Jonny, welcome to the forum! Lots of friendly people here who are always happy to help. When you start smoking again, post some pics so we can enjoy it with you! Happy smokin', David.

Welcome to SMF! :welcome:
We're glad to have you here. The search bar at the top is your best friend. This forum has been around for over ten years, so there is a good chance that any questions you may have, have already been answered (they may have 10 different answers, but you'll get an instant response non the less).
Please be sure to post your smokes along with your process and recipes. We will be glad to help you along the way and we may also learn something new ourselves in the process. Also, don't forget the very important Q view! (We're mad for pics on here [emoji]128513[/emoji])
Always remember to have fun because it's not fun if you have to work at it. Thanks for joining,
- Ryan

Hi Jonny

Welcome to the forum. There are a growing number of us from all over the UK who chat regularly on here and we meet up once a year for a friendly gathering and cook at the end of July near Lincoln. Yes this is the best forum for all round food smoking and we cover both hot and cold smoking as well as curing. The forum is for all levels of expertise - from aspiring novices to US circuit champions - and so please pitch in at whatever level you feel you can provide insight to others or if there are any questions that you may need asking. If you get a chance please also say hi in the UK Smokers group. It is part of the main forum but this is where a lot of the UK specific discussion takes place.

I too do a lot of cold smoking of fish and cheese and bacon curing and I also hot smoke all year round too. The Pro-Q Frontier will do you well - I have cooked on them several times and they are good bullet smokers. 

Some links to some of my cold smoking threads for fish to see if we use broadly similar methods.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140785/smoked-fish-fillets-salmon-cod-and-haddock-q-view

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/171886/comparison-of-salmon-curing-methods

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/167191/i-have-just-brought-these-round-for-you-to-smoke-for-me

I mainly dry cure bacon but here is a comparison of several wet brine curing methods that you will find widely discussed on here

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/181560/immersion-bacon-curing-lab-test-results

The chillies sound good. I have about 120 plants on the way at the moment too. You will probably already have most of the varieties that I am growing but I would be very interested in maybe trading for a couple of your Japanese varieties 
icon14.gif

Great to have you on board.

Wade

Last edited:
Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky