Hi from Colorado!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

countrydirt

Original poster
May 7, 2010
Hello all. I see that I joined here about 12 years ago and well, life got busy and I sold my smokers (bullet style and offset) and then eventually also got rid of the reason I no longer tried smoking meat through divorce and now find myself back into the groove as a very recent young retiree and homeowner. Ironically, the ex's new partner smokes everything (over-smokes in my opinion - I know because my youngest son - today was his 19th birthday - often brings leftovers after a meal with his mother and I'm not so sure that smoke should be the predominant flavor, but I could be wrong).

Enough of the soap opera.

I just purchased a very lightly used offset smoker - as near as I can see, it was used to grill burgers 3 or 4 times and the smoke box was pristine. Right now, I've got a little burn going to season it and it is throwing off a very thin smoke with regular charcoal and a little piece of cherry.

I am planning on throwing on a pork butt tomorrow for some pulled pork. I have a pile of cherry wood and some hickory chunks and a few pieces of apricot I may use.

Just smelling the smoke from the seasoning makes me recall how much I enjoyed smoking food. Hell, I even bought a home-brew kit to restart another hobby that marriage and kids overtook so many years ago.

Hello all. I see that I joined here about 12 years ago and well, life got busy and I sold my smokers (bullet style and offset) and then eventually also got rid of the reason I no longer tried smoking meat through divorce and now find myself back into the groove as a very recent young retiree and homeowner. Ironically, the ex's new partner smokes everything (over-smokes in my opinion - I know because my youngest son - today was his 19th birthday - often brings leftovers after a meal with his mother and I'm not so sure that smoke should be the predominant flavor, but I could be wrong).

Enough of the soap opera.

I just purchased a very lightly used offset smoker - as near as I can see, it was used to grill burgers 3 or 4 times and the smoke box was pristine. Right now, I've got a little burn going to season it and it is throwing off a very thin smoke with regular charcoal and a little piece of cherry.

I am planning on throwing on a pork butt tomorrow for some pulled pork. I have a pile of cherry wood and some hickory chunks and a few pieces of apricot I may use.

Just smelling the smoke from the seasoning makes me recall how much I enjoyed smoking food. Hell, I even bought a home-brew kit to restart another hobby that marriage and kids overtook so many years ago.
Get back after it! Enjoy the smoke..

Reactions: countrydirt
Thanks for the greetings gang! My "seasoning" burn turned into a small smoke with a 4ish pound picnic roast. Just seasoned with s&p and smoked over cherry and a few chunks of hickory and gave it about 3 hours on the smoke then about 3 in the oven. It was a pretty good for a first time in years and my 19 year old told me, "Don't worry about putting that away Dad, I'll eat it all today."

He did. I got one pulled pork sandwich out of it. He ate the rest. Teach me to go kayaking and driving in the mountains and leave Q unattended. But I did have a great time on the lake and enjoyed the cooler temperatures of the mountains.

So I have a 6ish pound butt dry brining in the fridge tonight. My ex gave me some sort of spice kit several years ago so the butt is resting with a chili and paprika based rub - and I didn't chince on it, I poured and rubbed that stuff on along with some onion salt and fresh ground black pepper. I'll likely start the fire around 8 tomorrow and put it on before I head out to play music with some friends - hell, I'm retired, that's what I get to do now!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky