Hi Folks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alexlonebear

Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I am very new to smoking. I am just dipping my toe in the water so to speak and wanted to get a smoker with a minimal investment. I ended up with a Brinkmann electric. I tried my first ribs yesterday. Lets just say it was not a rousing success mostly due to me. I'm a pretty good cook and tried to put together a rub from several sources. It ended up being much to spicy. I used red pepper flakes!!!
Also, I don't believe I soaked my wood long enough (20min.) because it flamed up a bit. I didn't catch that right away and the temperature spiked to about 350.
Anyway, except for being too spicy and the outside being too well done, they were fine. (By the way Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the show.)
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm not about to quit and I'm ready to try again but I'm hoping to get some more advice before I do that. I see you have a forum for Electric smokers so I think I'll stop there next. Of course any advice (other than throw out my smoker) from someone reading this, would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard Hank!

Not to worry... we've all made our mistakes. I don't know anything about the smoker you have, but look at the 3-2-1 method that Jeff has so generously shared with the masses: http://www.wyntk.us/food/3-2-1-rib-method.shtml

This is a great method for doing ribs no matter what smoker you have, and is pretty much fool-proof every time!

Good luck!

Check out the threads on the 3-2-1 method for ribs and signup for Jeff's 5 day e-course (it's free)
You'll need to get a handle on temp. control ... don't put your meat on until temps are fairly stable, you want to be in the 225º to 250º range for most things.
Hang in there don't give up!
icon_wink.gif

Welcome Hank -

As long as it was eddible all was not lost! I wouldn't call that a failure just not your best work. Did you have a water pan in? The water will help regulate the temperatures. Get the heat going and when your wood starts to char watch it for awhile. Keeping a sray bottle with water in it is alwats a good idea too.

Welcome to the SMF Hank. Great folks so jump right in and enjoy!!!

Glad you found us.
smile.gif

You'll learn something from every smoke that you do.

Keep smoking and always strive to be just a little better.

Good smoke and good BBQ!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum. As you can see there is alot of good advice here and many friendly folks eager to help in any way they can. We all have experiences we would like to forget. Have fun.

Hey Alex, welcome and don't throw that ECB away. I have an R2D2 Elec. Brinkmann myself and I just love it. It turns out some good Q as well. Just keep on trying, you will improve on every smoke..............
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

First of all ... I think your ECB heart is great and I copied it ... and I will use it any time something comes off of it above my average.

BTW your new avatar does look like Steve Allen
icon_lol.gif
... still love you anyway!

Remember that practice makes perfect!

You don't have to my heart Squeezy I gave it to you a while ago!
icon_wink.gif

Yeah the avatar kind of stinks but I'm not an artist I doctored up a Maxine cartoon. I'll have to work on it again sometime.

Welcome to the SMF Alex!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
So glad you jumped in with us.
Great Folks, Great Food, Great Fun!...And tons of info about all things smoked!

Don't worry! Those ribs are gonna get better and better. Hang in there.

Soon you'll be turning out Q that's so good...even J.W. would have to say ...
..."Aaay-Eeee!...Dem de best d___ rib I never tasted before again in mah whole life...I Guar-Onn-Teee!"...

Wonderful...Now I've got a craving for some cajun grub!...

Again...Welcome aboard Alex...You're gonna like it here...

Enjoy!...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky