Hey y'all

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

southpaw2012

Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Spring Hill, TN
My name is Matthew and I just joined this morning. I currently live in Spring Hill, TN but am originally from Baton Rouge, LA. I've always enjoyed eating BBQ so I decided to start smoking meats. I just bought the brinkmann electric smoker and look forward to starting a new hobby. I've already copied a few of the recipes for sauces from here and can't wait to try them. My plan is to start with a ham for our Easter Sunday meal, I hope it turns out well. I look forward to learning a few tips from some of you veterans.

welcome1.gif
to the forum from Bristol,TN.

Thanks disturbed. I'm not sure what kind of ham it is. I'll check when I get home. What cut of meat do y'all consider the easiest for a newbie to start on? My brother who does a little smoking said start off with chicken.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!   

Also....sign up for Jeff's E-course.  It's great and you will learn so much from it!  http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse  The Course is great for anyone no matter what your experience level may be!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Welcome aboard Matthew! Glad you joined us. You've found a great place to learn and share ideas. Lots of friendly an knowledgeable folks here who enjoy helping one another. Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

Thanks disturbed. I'm not sure what kind of ham it is. I'll check when I get home. What cut of meat do y'all consider the easiest for a newbie to start on? My brother who does a little smoking said start off with chicken.
Chicken is probably the cheapest and easiest to work with, second would be the Pork Butt.

Ham - Cooked / Uncooked

Fully Cooked Ham - A ham that has been thoroughly heated during some part of the processing to a temperature exceeding 147° F, making it ready to eat without further cooking. These hams are found labeled "Fully Cooked," "Ready to Eat," or "Heat and Serve." They may be eaten right out of the package or they can be warmed to an internal temperature of 140° F to provide a richer flavor.

Pre-Cooked Ham - A ham that has been heated during some part of the processing to an internal temperature exceeding 137°F but less than 148° F. Most commercially processed hams are heated to a temperature of 140° F. Temperatures reaching 137° F will kill the trichina parasite. A partially cooked ham still requires additional cooking prior to eating. It must be heated to an internal temperature of 160° F.

Uncooked Ham - A ham that had not reached an internal temperature exceeding 137° F during processing. Uncooked hams are generally dry-cured hams, although dry-cured hams are also available fully cooked. An uncooked ham requires more preparation time and cooking time than a partially or fully cooked ham.

A Fresh Picnic Ham is a raw ham. When smoking, curing is not needed. Shoot for 175 to 180* internal. This temp if for WELL done, Bodine pulls his at 150*.

Last edited:
Flash, thanks for the advice. It is a fully cooked ham as they were giving samples at the store. I was looking and I saw a recipe that Jeff had for an Easter ham and it looked fairly simple. I will take pictures we'll see how it turns out. I look forward to talking with all of you in the future.

Hi Matthew! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!
The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

Howdy Matthew!

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky