Hey! What's This OTBS About Anyways? (OTBS Nominations)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BUMP to a dead thread and somewhat dying order. I havent been here long, and have just recently found out about this. In the meantime, I have had a great time checking out peoples cooks, gaining knowledge, enjoying camaraderie and sharing some things that i enjoy and hope others do too! I have witnessed several individuals that have had amazing cooks that in my mind would be shoe ins to this order! Im not trying to stir anything up, I just dont want people that deserve recognition for their efforts to be passed by. There are some legit blue smoke gurus on here that influence all of us in a positive manner!
Sorry, semi/mini/rant over lol. Smoke away fellas!
OTBS discussions usally start after the new year. IMO there are members who activley stand out during the year and make the nomination list and some who are not as active but have met the criteria. If you believe you have met the requirements but have not been recommended by someone you should recommend yourself (poke your head through the cutain) so Admin and moderators can consider you for the OTBS nomination. You can message any one of us active moderators or admins

Joe

So when someone is recommended, they are notified of that recommendation?

I believe that some folks aren't comfortable with "blowing their own horn"...
I believe they are not notified. IMO its not blowing your own horn. If you have met the requirements you should be considered for OTBS. This would elimimate some of the good ol boy club only group thought. You wont be considered if your name is not in the hat. Someone who is eligble for OTBS and doesnt get a recommendation from someone else IMO can slip through a crack if their name is not in the hat. The Admins will eventually decide who at the end. My 2 cents

Editted

Last edited:
I didn't think you could self-nominate. Oh well you learn something new everyday.

Chris

I didn't think you could self-nominate. Oh well you learn something new everyday.

Chris

I thought the same thing.
I kind of thought the same so I went back and did some reading. Found this quote from Brian, bmudd14474 bmudd14474 ...
in the end a peer recommends you.
Also found this...

It doesn't specifically say that one can't self-nominate...

I kind of thought the same so I went back and did some reading. Found this quote from Brian, bmudd14474 bmudd14474 ...

Also found this...

It doesn't specifically say that one can't self-nominate...
There you go. It's like the Federal Aviation Regulations. At my first job they said, if it doesn't say in the FARs that you can't do it, then you can do it lol.

Members can make recommendations to any Moderator or Admin they usually have a list of their own and when it comes time they will submit lists to the OTBS staff. OTBS staff will consider each member recommended and make sure they meet all the requirements members are not notified.
Before recommending someone please try to make sure they meet the requirements it makes things easier for eveybody

I believe they are not notified. IMO its not blowing your own horn. If you have met the requirements you should be considered for OTBS. This would elimimate some of the good ol boy club only group thought. You wont be considered if your name is not in the hat. Someone who is eligble for OTBS and doesnt get a recommendation from someone else IMO can slip through a crack if their name is not in the hat. The Admins will eventually decide who at the end. My 2 cents

Editted
I experimented with notifying nominated members. When the final decision was made and they weren't selected, it led to hurt feelings and demands for an explanation as to why. That said, I did it once to see how it would work and it didn't!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I experimented with notifying nominated members. When the final decision was made and they weren't selected, it led to hurt feelings and demands for an explanation as to why. That said, I did it once to see how it would work and it didn't!
I can see that, to me if one is recognized that is great, but if you need to be put on a pedestal to feel good about yourself one has greater problems.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky