Here's My Fridge Build: Mid build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iowa josh83

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Iowa
I didn't join SMF until I had already started this build so I don't have any pics from early in the build and here is where I'm at. I've stripped out all the plastic (or whatever that material was) out of it. Bought a 8x4ft sheet of 24ga steel ($24) and cut out replacements for the door and the door surround. Back plate where the cooling lines and freezer were is also replaced with the same.

Heat is a 220v broiler element (unknown wattage) out a standard whirlpool range. Also from that range I stripped the control board. Tested it all out and I think it should do nicely. Won't have the precision of a PID but I think it will do ok. I'm planning for now just to do like I do on my ECB and lay the wood in close to the element for smoke. It may turn out I need to add a smoke generator but only time and testing will tell.

I've got 1x1 1/8 inch angle iron all cut out to make my shelving brackets and will be working on those this week. Then she will be rolled into the paint booth where I'll give her a couple coats of flat black and maybe some custom graphics.

Anyone have any recommendations on how much space I should allow between shelves? I've been tinkering with 6 shelves about 8" apart. Bottom shelf will be fairly close to the element and will normally hold a large pan of water for moisture.

More Pics to come!

208fbe1e_IMG_20110423_174114.jpg

27e0171e_IMG_20110423_174124.jpg

e7e02a0c_IMG_20110423_174201.jpg

Reactions: arnie
Josh,

Thanks for sharing!  Wish I could find a piece of sheet metal for $24!  I am having the same delima with the shelf spacing.  Without looking...I think I decided on two 8", one 6" and two 4.5".  I am hoping that will give me the versitility I need...but...it's still just a guessing game!

Travis  :)

Well I sketched out my shelves last night and went with the first shelf being 4" from the bottom. Then the next shelf was 8" and all the remaining shelves were put in at 6". I figure if I need to do something that is tall I can always remove a couple shelves.

FlyBoy, I think your shelf arrangement will be nice. The 4.5" shelves will be perfect for ribs!

One thing I did not count on was the side walls of the fridge are not straight/square. In other words there a bow in the walls. So I go to place my angle iron bracket I cut and it won't sit flush against the wall. I'm thinking I'll just use some bolts and pull the wall straight but I"m not sure how that will work. Anyone have any alternative ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Well I sketched out my shelves last night and went with the first shelf being 4" from the bottom. Then the next shelf was 8" and all the remaining shelves were put in at 6". I figure if I need to do something that is tall I can always remove a couple shelves.

FlyBoy, I think your shelf arrangement will be nice. The 4.5" shelves will be perfect for ribs!

One thing I did not count on was the side walls of the fridge are not straight/square. In other words there a bow in the walls. So I go to place my angle iron bracket I cut and it won't sit flush against the wall. I'm thinking I'll just use some bolts and pull the wall straight but I"m not sure how that will work. Anyone have any alternative ideas?

Thanks,

Josh
Josh,

Thanks!...that was my thought exactly when I was looking at the spacing.  Plus it's a good place for my Wicked Baked Beans, taters, onions, corn, wings, etc...

Yes I found that the side walls (inside) are bowed slightly outward.  I believe they will pull up flush with the shelf bracket (angle iron) when they are attached.  I also plan to seal around the tops of all the shelf brackets with the SU5005.  They will keep gunk from collecting behind the brackets.

Well, a hard days work has resulted in a somewhat functional fridge smoker. Some of the issues I'm having are airflow/draw and proper amounts of smoke. Otherwise this thing works awesome!

Here's some pics of my shelves. One word of advise, pay close attention to the way you cut your expanded metal (if that's what you're using) the metal definitely has more strength one direction than the other. Hence you'll see the later pictures some sheet metal that I folded over the edges to increase strength.

b91cbe89_IMG_20110428_212345.jpg

Here's some pictures of the oven controller that is controlling the the old broiler element from the same oven.

27e475e8_IMG_20110430_151628.jpg

50f4e9bb_IMG_20110430_151636.jpg

Here's a couple pics from how we did my stack/chimney. Its a piece of 4" aluminum vent pipe. We first cut some off the non joint end (the end that wasn't crimped to slide into the end of the next piece). We then cut slits into both ends so we could rivet the pipe both on the inside and outside of the fridge. This allowed us then to insert the joint end into the piece on the fridge. The stack is now easily removable.

05530376_IMG_20110430_151554.jpg

c1e6e9cb_IMG_20110430_151608.jpg

Well here's the final result. We ran the smoker up to over 400 to see how it would handle and to burn off any of the nasties. Then I tossed in a couple pieces of hickory to get the smoke rolling. At first I didn't get much smoke but eventually I did get I nice flow of smoke. The big issue I had was keeping constant smoke without igniting the wood into a full out inferno. I've got some ideas I need to try but I may be coming back here for some advice from you guys. I'm really surprised how well it holds temperature it appeared to stay with in +/- 5 degrees. The recovery time is pretty good to. I'll be slapping some paint on it this week hopefully and post the final product. Thanks for all the great advice keep it coming.

5aa29ef3_IMG_20110430_151430.jpg

Josh,

Looks good!  Glad to hear that everything is working.  Am I understanding that you do not have a frame around the expanded metal?  If not, you may want to see how much they flex by adding two or three gallon milk jugs to a shelf... Since we have basically the same refrigerator, when you were at 400 degrees, how hot did the outside cabinet get?  Thanks.  OH...great pictures.

Flyboy,

When I had it up to 400 it was pretty warm around the door seal but its leaking pretty good from there (might need some work there). The rest of the cabinet was just barely warm to the touch. plenty of insulation!

Thanks!

Josh,

I don't have any plastic pieces in the bottom of mine.  Have you got a picture showing where they are?

Travis  :)

Here's the 4 bolts I was talking about. I looked closely on your's, looks like you either removed them or didn't have them at all. I thought it looked like 4 ordinary bolts but after getting the smoker going I noticed something melting. I removed them and continued my burn out.

b5d71a1c_Plastic.jpg

I'm considering installing a smoke generation device possibly an a-maze-n smoke generator because I was having issues with my smoke. Getting it built is 1/2 the fun getting smoking and cooking is part of the fun.

The exhaust diffuser (I mis-stated as smoke baffle) sounds like a good idea. I thought about getting another short piece 4" vent tube and putting it on the inside of my smoker to make the smoke build up before it has a chance to go out the stack. I did opt out of the final top shelf otherwise I would have one just about as close. I'm thinking about getting something so I can hang sausages.

Smoke it Up!!

Josh,

My fridge does/did not have those plastic guides on the bottom.  They were on the sides and back and held the racks in place.  I removed the plastic guide/nuts and pushed the threaded stud out/back through the cabinet.  I filled the holes with the SU5005.  I had four studs on the roof, that held the freezer unit in place.  Two of them were centered and worked well for the exhaust baffle. 

I have got to get some high temp appliance wire today...for connecting the heating element.  Wish I had an old stove to rob from...but I don't.

...off to work.......have a great day!

Well its been almost a month since my last post and not much work has taken place on my smoker. "Work" (that brings in the money) has taken most of my time including my weekends. But last weekend I had a date with me and my smoker. Got it all sanded, masked and 1st coat of paint. Take a look let me know what you think.

ce11e6f7_IMG_20110522_112751.jpg

I was able to remove all the paint from the chrome General Electric badge. I think the Chrome on Black will look good once I get the tape off.

2634d6c7_IMG_20110522_112801.jpg

50781c05_IMG_20110522_112813.jpg

Well its all done!! And here's some pics!!

IMG_20110531_221041.jpg

ce59196d_IMG_20110531_221041.jpg

c99553b5_IMG_20110531_221158.jpg

78e33aa9_IMG_20110531_221222.jpg

Got all the ugly gray and white paint off the emblem and look at that...chrome!!

1e3289e1_IMG_20110531_221109.jpg

9e1ac206_IMG_20110531_221125.jpg

The oil I sprayed the inside with burned when is got close to the element.

43f41706_IMG_20110531_221208.jpg

Close up of the oven controller.

It seems like I need to run the temp at about 250 to get the wood to smolder the way I intended but I'm thinking if I increase the air flow the element will have to run more and the wood will smolder better. So I need to figure out a way to increase the air flow and I'm considering adding some ducting and a blower fan that will force more air into the fridge. I don't think it will work on draw alone.

I really like you smoker build. I built a fridge smoker in 2007. I have some photos posted that show my build. I went with propane for my heat source. I really love my smoker. It works great. I have since installed a Big Kahuna smoke generator that works great for cold smoking. I cold smoked some buck board bacon with it. I was able to keep the smoker at 120 degrees and generate smoke with the smoke generator. I have also installed a turkey fryer thermastat to control the heat. it also was a great upgrade. I'm really like the intergration of the oven controls and the oven element. Very cool. You might just want to put some holes in the bottom or your smoker to allow some air in through the bottom. I beleave there are 6  one inch holes in the pan my burner sits in. I also put in a damper in the smoke stack to control the air flow. Thanks for sharing you smoker build adventure. I really have enjoyed mine.

Bob

Poulsbo, Washington

I'm not sure this qualifies as a Qview because I don't have any pictures of my prep but I do have cooking and final product pics. It sure was tasty!! The smoker performed great! Thanks to all who followed my build and give me advice.

ab551c86_IMG_20110603_173820.jpg

3583618d_IMG_20110603_204250.jpg

61e3a29e_IMG_20110604_150322.jpg

5d846546_IMG_20110604_150330.jpg

e16ef422_IMG_20110604_193028.jpg

c5c45a72_IMG_20110604_193429.jpg

That's a good ole BBQ meal, smoked ribs, baked beans, and garlic mashed potatoes!

Thanks for looking!

-Josh

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky