Here's a crazy idea....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Little-m

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Winnipeg
I know pellet smokers are for pellets only, but has anyone ever mixed some very small real wood pieces to the mix? Is so, what were the results?

Very curious,
Mark

That is an interesting idea. I would think that you would need to filter the size pieces. They need to be small enough for the auger to push them through, but large enough not to clog the auger causing it to stop. Another thought is that cooking pellets are fairly smooth, but wood chips would be quite ragged in their shape making it easier to jam as well.

All that said, I don't think I would try it in mine.

That is an interesting idea. I would think that you would need to filter the size pieces. They need to be small enough for the auger to push them through, but large enough not to clog the auger causing it to stop. Another thought is that cooking pellets are fairly smooth, but wood chips would be quite ragged in their shape making it easier to jam as well.

All that said, I don't think I would try it in mine.
You need to rig up a chute to drop chips into the firebox

What I am thinking about is the wood chunks being no larger than the pellets. Based on my observations of my Pit Boss, the motor and auger would have no problem at all pushing them through. Question is, how would they burn compared to the pellets? Would they impart more of a real wood profile to the meat? Would they smolder more? Would they burn up faster?

Questions, questions....

I know pellet smokers are for pellets only, but has anyone ever mixed some very small real wood pieces to the mix? Is so, what were the results?

Very curious,
Mark

I read in another Forum back in July about a Guy who added a small Hickory chunk to the Fire Pot of his Camp Chef Pellet Grill. His quote and not mine... Quote... What happened that it worked great and produced a ton of hickory smoke but then...the temps jumped up to 500 before the chunk burned out...
Also, the fire started to climb up the auger, made it about two inches before I shut down.
I got a little concerned when smoke started coming from the pellet chamber! End quote... The Poster had pics as well. I wouldn’t try it for obvious reasons, but if You’re willing to give the wood chips a shot and take one for the team... Smh. Just make sure You have a fire extinguisher near by and keep anyone that could be at risk, “Far” away... Oh and take Grill temps and pics too. Seriously though, here’s a link to the same question asked here a few years back... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...a-pellet-smoker-fast-eddy-traeger-rec.186957/

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: TNJAKE
I read in another Forum back in July about a Guy who added a small Hickory chunk to the Fire Pot of his Camp Chef Pellet Grill. His quote and not mine... Quote... What happened that it worked great and produced a ton of hickory smoke but then...the temps jumped up to 500 before the chunk burned out...
Also, the fire started to climb up the auger, made it about two inches before I shut down.
I got a little concerned when smoke started coming from the pellet chamber! End quote... The Poster had pics as well. I wouldn’t try it for obvious reasons, but if You’re willing to give the wood chips a shot and take one for the team... Smh. Just make sure You have a fire extinguisher near by and keep anyone that could be at risk, “Far” away... Oh and take Grill temps and pics too. Seriously though, here’s a link to the same question asked here a few years back... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...a-pellet-smoker-fast-eddy-traeger-rec.186957/

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

LOL Okay, my curiousity has been satisfied. Too bad actually....

I put shag bark into my tube along with pellets , works great for me, just a few pieces and pellets bedside them to help them burn. ymmv. make sure you nuke the pellets so they burn good. you can light both ends of the tube or lay it flat wo make it burn faster, set upright to slow down the smoke with the high end lit.

Don't run anything thru the auger but pellets. use a tube or amaze for xtra smoke

Not a pellet grill, but when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, I remember house fires from people trying to run sawdust and other by-products with pellets in their heating stoves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky