Here it goes...with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fastalkintn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Christiana, Tn
So it's been a while since I have been around. I have a few days off work so thought I would try a brisket. I have been doing ribs and pulled pork for a few years with great success but this is only my second brisket. The first one came out well cooked (very tender with a good smoke ring) but very bland tasting so I kind of gave up on them. My wife talked me into trying another one tomorrow. So far I have rubbed down with our favorite home made secret recipe rub and yellow mustard and have it in the fridge. I plan on some type of injection in the morning before I put it on but have not came up with anything that knocks my socks off yet. Going to do beef stock base and have a few ideas but cant decide. Anybody have any input on what they use that adds to the flavor but doesn't over power the great taste of smoked beef?

4308b7ed_11_29_11_03.jpg

All trimmed up

3701ee6b_11_29_11_01.jpg

Rubbed down and ready for the fridge.

Thats a good lookin hunk of meat there.

You might try using your rub mix with the beef stock and inject with that.

either way I will be here for the end.

44.gif
 too early for beer. lol

Mike

This truly is one of my favorite parts of smoking meat. Up early in the morning, everything is quite and calm. There is something very zen like once you have the meat on and a good cup of coffee in your hand just watching the TBS come from the magic box. Alone in the quite, just me and my thoughts.

On the other hand it is a tie between now and this afternoon when I have a nice bourbon in my hand enjoying a good cigar and the company of my wife anticipating the meal to come.

Anyway got the meat going, temp steady at 230. Here is what it looks like.

1c7f0057_11_29_11_04.jpg

Thought I might as well do a fatty since I had the smoker going anyway.

818a6819_11_29_11_05.jpg

This truly is one of my favorite parts of smoking meat. Up early in the morning, everything is quite and calm. There is something very zen like once you have the meat on and a good cup of coffee in your hand just watching the TBS come from the magic box. Alone in the quite, just me and my thoughts.

YEP!

Quality time with you and your smoker!

That's a good looking fattie!

Split one of those biscuit's up & put a slice of your fattie in there & it's a little slice of heaven!

So riddle me this. 8 lb flat cut in two pieces to fit on my small smoker racks. Put it on at 7:45 am it is now 3:00 pm and one is at 145 the other is at 130. Been holding temps between 230-245 according to my mav et-73. Does it seem like they are cooking really really slow? I would think after 7 hours they would be pushing 175 or so. So what do you folks think?

I think you should pull the probes out & check them in boiling water. It sounds like they are not accurate.

I think your instinct is right & they should be at a higher temp if you are running at 230-245.

So after some investigation I think I figured out that my chamber probe isn't correct. I changed thermometers and it was about 25 degrees low. I have adjusted the temp and the temps of the brisket are climbing. Now my question is is the meat ok to eat? It has been at the low temps for a long time, I don't want to make myself sick.

So I give up. I pulled them off the smoker at 158 degrees and 11 hours on the smoker. Foiled them and into the oven...we will see how it goes.

Well first how off was the thermo?  Secondly you are probably fine if the outside of the meat was at 140 before 4 hrs.  If you injected it should have been 140 internal at or under 4 hrs.  Since I can't know what and when I can not make the decision for you as to the safety concern.  I will say  that if you run it to over 200 F  in the house oven you most likely are ok but you have to make the decision based on the info I do not have.  Error on the side of safety making this decision. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky