Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vince m

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
plano il
Today I was curing bacon and after doing the first slab I realized the scale was set to kg and not lb so I took it out of vacuum seal rinsed it off in water and re-did if under correct weight I was worried some of the cure salt may have not come off so I put about .50grams less on it now I'm not sure if there is to much or not enough should I just toss and start over? Thanks.

I’ll defer to others with more experience but I cannot imagine that short exposure with a thorough rinse will be an issue.

Reactions: vince m
Please post up your recipe with salt and cure #1 amounts to meat weight.

If the scale was set to Kg and you read it as pounds then your salt and cure amounts were light by half. 1 Kg is 2.2 pounds so if the scale read 1.0 and you read that as pounds, being 1 pound, it was actually 2.2 pounds meat. I think you are fine with process I would just like to double check your salt and cure amounts.

Reactions: jcam222
I used the basic eq method and online calculator and did weight as 1 pound but it was really 4 pounds so I was light on it just worried when I re did it that plus new salt will make us sick from to much.

Nope you are good. Even if you had not washed off the first application all in you would be about 195ppm nitrite (assuming .25% cure #1) in a dry cure up to 200ppm is allowed. If you are at all concerned just let it cure a full 14 days. This will allow for more nitrite depletion.

Reactions: vince m
Nope you are good. Even if you had not washed off the first application all in you would be about 195ppm nitrite (assuming .25% cure #1) in a dry cure up to 200ppm is allowed. If you are at all concerned just let it cure a full 14 days. This will allow for more nitrite depletion.
Thanks so much for the info!

Thanks so much for the info!
Just so you know, when we apply cure #1 at the rate of .25% to meat weight we impart 156ppm nitrite, this is an effect and safe range and is also maximum allowable in sausage, but works well with whole muscle also.

Just so you know, when we apply cure #1 at the rate of .25% to meat weight we impart 156ppm nitrite, this is an effect and safe range and is also maximum allowable in sausage, but works well with whole muscle also.
Great info thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky