HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennis waters

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Texarkana, Tx--Bowie County Texas
Being from THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS I do beef and pork ! Tomorrow I am doing 9 racks of ribs, no problem with this , but, a friend brought over a package of LAMBS RIBS (lambs breast) and ask me to do them*******"I AIN'T never done no lamb of any kind! Please give me a hint on rub or whatever. Thanks in advance.
icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
I've never done lamb either. Would you use your normal rub and the 3-2-1 method? Maybe just salt and pepper rub and 3-2-1? I'm glad you asked and I hope someone who knows chimes in.

Racks of lamb ribs?

Or lamb breast with ribs?

They are totally different animals and will require different preparations?

Kinda like "prime rib" compared to short ribs with brisket attached on the beef?

Good luck and good smoking.

Hi Dennis,

Taking a stab at anwering your question, and also giving your post a lil' bump to see if you can get more input from others....

Lamb ribs are super fatty, and have caused me lots of trouble with flare-ups when cooked on the grill. To get around this problem I've used the technique where you boil or braise them until tender, then put a wet rub or sauce on them and grill them to give them a bit of a sear. I've also made them where you marinate them, then cook them covered in the oven until almost tender, uncover and baste and let them tighten up and brown in the oven (or could finish on the grill). They don't take as long to cook as pork ribs, more on the order of 2 hours instead of the 5-6 that pork ribs take.

As for rubs and flavors, lamb stands up to a lot of different flavors, your favorite rub would probably work fine. Lamb works really well with flavors like garlic, lemon, rosemary, thyme, red wine vinegar. I think a mellow smoke like oak or fruit woods work best....I've used orange wood before just for fun, and it came out really good.

Good luck, and hope it comes out well for you!
Clarissa

Hi Dennis,

Taking a stab at anwering your question, and also giving your post a lil' bump to see if you can get more input from others....

Lamb ribs are super fatty, and have caused me lots of trouble with flare-ups when cooked on the grill. To get around this problem I've used the technique where you boil or braise them until tender, then put a wet rub or sauce on them and grill them to give them a bit of a sear. I've also made them where you marinate them, then cook them covered in the oven until almost tender, uncover and baste and let them tighten up and brown in the oven (or could finish on the grill). They don't take as long to cook as pork ribs, more on the order of 2 hours instead of the 5-6 that pork ribs take.

As for rubs and flavors, lamb stands up to a lot of different flavors, your favorite rub would probably work fine. Lamb works really well with flavors like garlic, lemon, rosemary, thyme, red wine vinegar. I think a mellow smoke like oak or fruit woods work best....I've used orange wood before just for fun, and it came out really good.

Good luck, and hope it comes out well for you!
Clarissa
Thanks for the help !

Lamb breasts with ribs would benefit from a braise or foiling like a 3-2-1.

True lamb ribs.  From the rib section do not require that and should be cooked dry to a med-rare to medium at most.

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks Everyone! I mixed a Greek mixture of rosemary, garlic, parsley, garlic basil ,B/P salt mixed in olive oil and basted the meat. Seared it on the grill and placed in the smoker with the ribs. I am going to let it smoke low and slow for two hr's and wrap it for a couple hrs and then unwrap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky