Help with Texas style BBQ/dishes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyLee15

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Central Ohio
My buddies and I use every excuse to BBQ, we are also big racing fans. The upcoming Formula 1 race is in Texas and we plan to have a party for it. I plan on smoking a pork butt, wings and some kind of Texas cornbread. I usually use a Memphis rub but am looking for a good Texas pork rub and sauce. If you all could also help me out with some recipes for Texas style sides and sauces that would be great! Thank you.

Reactions: JLeonard
Have you ever just used heavy salt, pepper and garlic rub on a butt? It's killer as pulled pork or on corn tortillas with chopped sweet onion, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

Texas sides could be Jalapeño cornbread, and some char'o beans with onion, bellpepper, pablano peppers and bacon a lime wedge and some fresh avocado slices, cilantro, and queso fresco. Gotta have beans, so you have something to sop up with the cornbread.

Have a good time at the race, I'm a race fan as well.:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: tallbm and JLinza
I second the heavy salt and pepper on a butt, I did one this weekend with SPOG and it was great. 9lb butt gone with 8 people eating on it.

Reactions: tallbm
Good call on the SPOG for the butt, maybe sometimes I think to much. Didn't think about Jalapeno cornbread, that will be a nice touch. Agreed, poppers are a must! Thanks for the input!

My buddies and I use every excuse to BBQ, we are also big racing fans. The upcoming Formula 1 race is in Texas and we plan to have a party for it. I plan on smoking a pork butt, wings and some kind of Texas cornbread. I usually use a Memphis rub but am looking for a good Texas pork rub and sauce. If you all could also help me out with some recipes for Texas style sides and sauces that would be great! Thank you.

I do SPOG + Paprika here in TX all the time. SPOG and NO Sugar is going to be like here in Texas. As forktender forktender said, tacos with limes to squeeze and all the simple fixings (pico, onoin, cheese, salsa, sour cream). Smoke the pork butt unwrapped the entire time for the bold flavors.

For sides, I also agree beans all the way. I would do charro style beans which are pinto beans with pico, lots of onion, some garlic, a little bit of oregano, some cumin, and a bit of chili powder. Sooo goood. You can even take em and mash and refry them in lard/crisco/oil and have refried beans.
Regular beans with plenty of onion, some bacon, and some garlic and a little bit of cumin works as well.

Now you have a setup for pulled pork nachos too with beans!!!

Sauces... salsa. BBQ sauce should be a little bit runny, have good sweetness, and have some spice to it. Texas bbq sauces are most often not thick and not overly sweet and have some savory and spice to them.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: SmokeyLee15
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky