Help with more smoke flavor out of my Weber Genesis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
Last fall I bought my first gas grill.  Before this all I used for cooking was a lump coal grill or a true smoker.  One was a double barrel that I built myself but unfortunately with changes in life I had to sell it.  The smoker I have right now is a small one.  With moving around it was also cheap.  I can't say I have loved it that much.  It has worked when I needed it.  

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...et-smoker/p-1444450214441-c-1461078035986.htm

Now playing with my Genesis grill did ribs last week and pork shoulder this week.  I love how I can keep it at a nice easy 225 or 250 perfect.  Not having to check temps about every 30min with my smoker.  I bought a smoke box for it.  Weber does not make the large box for it any more.  

The only thing with the smoke box is I am not seeing the smoke ring how I like to see it.  Like for the ribs with only 2.5 hours of smoke before I foiled them they very little ring.  The smoke flavor was not that strong.  The pork shoulder today was little better with the ring and flavor.  That was 8 hours before foiling.  

My wife is loving this new way is trying to smoke.  She does not like the flavor the lump coal gives.  The smoke flavor is more mellow for her.  For me I do feel like I am getting the cleaner taste that I loved with my double barrel smoker that only used logs.  I want to get a little stronger flavor form the wood.  Is there a better setup to use in the Genesis to use for smoking? 

Hope in the next year or two to get our patio put in so I can get good smoker again.  

Thanks for any help or tips.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky