Help with mini smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
My step dad is wanting to get into smoking (again sort of)
He built a big air tank smoker years ago and used it a few times. He’s wanting something small to smoke on now again. He said he wants a brinkman smoke n grill. I haven’t been able to source one locally. Was wondering if there is anything similar that y’all would recommend? He lives by himself and doesn’t want anything of size since he’s only cooking for one. I’ve tried to talk him into a pit barrel or something along those lines but he doesn’t want to spend a bunch of money. He’s having shoulder surgery next week and I figured I’d try to find him something since he will be off work for about 4 months and have time to mess with it. All suggestions welcome!

Have you thought about used? Might be a good way to get into something nicer without blowing the budget. Some of the stuff that’s “used” or sold private party is new In box or used very little. There may be some deals to be had. Here’s what I found with a little searching. Just remember something is only worth what someone will pay for it

Smoker for sale

Smoker 3 for sale

Smoker 2 for sale

Last edited:
I would suggest a Weber Kettle as well. You can go with the original that has the pan instead of the the enclosed ash pan. That would keep the price around $100. I do suggest the original premium though. The enclosed ash pan and flip up grill grated are worth the extra $65. I’m going to second the suggestion of used though. Craigslist usually will have a few Weber Kettles in just about any area. As long as it’s not obviously damaged physically a used kettle will still last for years and work like a charm. Hell, I just made the best pulled pork of my life with my kettle last Sunday. Sips charcoal and is plenty big for one. I will even go as far as saying for one person it’s the perfect smoker and has the added benefit of being able to grill just as good as it smokes. Just my two cents.
G

If budget isn't an issue I'd go with the 14.5" WSM.

Its just two of us so the 14.5 is perfect.I've had mine for years.

The one from Wally World can be used as a smoker or grill giving 2 choices. We have a 14" Weber we take camping as there is only 2 of us now and it works fine.

Warren

Reactions: jake0531
Brinkmann went under so they're harder to find as they were never built to last and required quite a few mods to run them decent. I started on one and i took a 2 year break because it was such a pain.

If he can afford it i'd recommend the WSM 14.5". it's about the size of the brinkman but wouldn't need any mods.

If that's too much he could build a mini WSM. Assuming he wants new it's $35 + whatever the cost of a 32 quart pot and some parts. Build info is here: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/smokey-joe-mini-wsm-project/

There are other options that are cheap but i'll be honest they'll be so much work that it'll suck the fun out of it for him.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky