Help with a Horseradish sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyLee15

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Central Ohio
Hey All,
Fathers Day is coming up and my Dad loves Brisket and horseradish. I want to do a different take on just horseradish, any good recipes out there? I was thinking of maybe an aioli but I don't want too much of a mayonnaise flavor to it. Maybe horseradish, lemon juice and chives..what do you all think? Thanks!

I found a promising recipe on that HeyGrillHey site and also on themountainkitchen site. Unless you all have any suggestions.

I'm looking for either no mayo taste or minimal, thanks, I'll check back tomorrow.
I got home earlier than I thought ;)
A few notes:
1) Stick with the cream/sour cream ratio ( I think cream fraiche would be too sweet)
2) You'll want more horseradish or extra-hot horseradish, drain it as best you can so it doesn't get soupy
3) use an electric mixer unless you really want an arm workout or have access to super heavy non-ultrapastuarized cream
4) cream is good when you drag a fork though it and leaves a light trail, you don't want frozen tidal waves ;)
5) S&P to taste, cut the chives fine for more flavor
6) haven't done lemon but it should work, go sparingly or could get soupy, I think a bit of zest would be nice
7) make ahead of time for best flavor- a day or at least several hours, also give time to adjust salt n such..., it will separate a bit, just mix it back up

This is similar to a horseradish sauce I served with prime rib many years ago when I was a busboy/expidator at the local country club. I've tried many recipies and this was the best I've found, enjoy!

Thank you WaterRat for sharing, I saw this and just had to check it out and will try it.

This is similar to a horseradish sauce I served with prime rib many years ago when I was a busboy/expidator at the local country club.
Our yacht club is known for prime rib and serves a similar sauce. 99% sure it's just sour cream and horseradish. FYI the stuff is also tasty on hamburgers.

Reactions: chopsaw
I got home earlier than I thought ;)
A few notes:
1) Stick with the cream/sour cream ratio ( I think cream fraiche would be too sweet)
2) You'll want more horseradish or extra-hot horseradish, drain it as best you can so it doesn't get soupy
3) use an electric mixer unless you really want an arm workout or have access to super heavy non-ultrapastuarized cream
4) cream is good when you drag a fork though it and leaves a light trail, you don't want frozen tidal waves ;)
5) S&P to taste, cut the chives fine for more flavor
6) haven't done lemon but it should work, go sparingly or could get soupy, I think a bit of zest would be nice
7) make ahead of time for best flavor- a day or at least several hours, also give time to adjust salt n such..., it will separate a bit, just mix it back up

This is similar to a horseradish sauce I served with prime rib many years ago when I was a busboy/expidator at the local country club. I've tried many recipies and this was the best I've found, enjoy!
going to have to try this

Reactions: WaterRat
I have used this recipe with Prime rib a few times. It from All Things BBQ

Horseradish Creme Fraiche

Yield: 2+ cups

Ingredients:

Preparation:
  • Combine the whipping cream and buttermilk in a squeeze bottle. Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds. Let sit out at room temperature for 24 hours. It will thicken in that time.
  • After the creme fraiche has thickened, add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/standing-prime-rib-roast/

Thank you WaterRat for sharing, I saw this and just had to check it out and will try it.

No prob!

Our yacht club is known for prime rib and serves a similar sauce. 99% sure it's just sour cream and horseradish. FYI the stuff is also tasty on hamburgers.

Yeah, not too complicated. The club I worked at also had really good prime rib. I didn't learn till years later what people meant when they said things like "I don't like prime rib, it's too fatty." I was spoiled eating there ;)

I would add Wooster sauce to your taste.

Could be interesting!

I wonder what some fresh diced jalapeño would be like with it? Just a thought

I'd give it a shot ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky