• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help! Wife is threatening to turn off the electric

duckjunkie194

Joined Dec 28, 2010
Ive been rolling along with my new MES30 that I got for xmas, and am gonna do a couple fatties for the Bears/Packer game this Sunday.  My problem is that my wife is a vegetarian and I always throw her Veggie burgers on the smoker and she likes them.  However, she says if she doesnt get something "special" off that thing, shes cutting the cord on it.  Any suggestions?  Im thinking the Green Bean/Onion/Mushroom idea looks pretty good....Anyone else?

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Tell her that if she wants SOMETHING SPECIAL get off that vegetarian kick... then fix her a nice Rack of Ribs..,

You might try Some Mushrooms stuffed with Rice and Cheese...

duckjunkie194

Joined Dec 28, 2010
I wish it was that easy.  she's been a weird non-meat eater since living in California years ago.  The Dr. said if she wanted to start eating meat again, she'd have to start with baby foods because her body has stopped producing the enzymes to help digest the meat.  the only time I saw her eat meat, was when she had half of a roast beef sandwich when she was pregnant 13 yrs ago.  And no, getting her pregnant again is out of the question!

And too much cheese makes her sick too.......My god, she has lots of issues!  At least the kids are full blown carnivores!

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Man I don't know what to suggest. I am a full blow meatatarian  and so is my family so I have never ran into that issue. Everything I have ever cooked on my smokers is meat. Does she eat fish? Its seems like some vegetarians do? If she eats fish I would do some salmon or something like that.

bobthesmoker

Joined Jan 20, 2011
You can make some good vegitarian stuff in the smoker;

Veggie ABTs (fill with cream cheese with rub and some minced green onion or fill with any flavored cream cheese in the dairy case).

Veggie Baked Beans

Smoked Mac & Cheese

Smoked Cheese

Smoked Nuts (mix with 3 parts honey to 1 part apple juice and salt to taste).  These are my wife's favorite from the smoker.

Smoked Potatoes (Baked or use in mashed potatoes)

Smoked cabbage

Smoked Veggies (lightly smoked)

I saw a link to a receipe for vegetarian jerky; did not look at it but you may want to take a look.

You could probably come up with a version of veggie stuffed green peppers.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 6, 2010
Buy a wood smoker

This.  Right here.  Haha!  That sounds exactly like what I would have suggested.

More to the point, vegetarian dishes elude me, I'm an old school carnivore.   But try this one on for size:

Smoked Stuffed Acorn Squash

3 acorn squash

1 28 ounce can vegetarian baked beans

4 tbsp barbecue sauce

2 tbsp maple syrup

4 tbsp dark brown sugar

2 tbsp butter or margarine

1 cup hickory or other wood chips, soaked in water for 1 hour then drained

Cut each squash in half widthwise. Slice 1/4 inch off the rounded end of each half so the squash sits upright without wobbling. Scrape out the seeds with a spoon and throw away.

Mix baked beans, barbecue sauce, maple syrup and brown sugar in small mixing bowl. Divide mixture evenly among squash halves and top each half with 1/2 tablespoon butter. 

Smoke as normal, when the liquids start bubbling and carmelizing, you should be ready to serve

ecto1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 22, 2010
Smoked Mushrooms are a favorite at my household.  Anything you can bake you can make in the MES.  One of my favorites is to core an apple fill with a mix of cinnamon, brown sugar and butter.  Smoke for about an hours @ 250 with a light wood and serve with ice cream.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
Can you get a new wife?

Seriously though, Something like a smoked veggie lasagna might work, especially if you go easy on the cheese. Maybe even something with smoked portobello mushrooms. They're nice & meaty tasting and can hold lots of flavour.

wildflower

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 22, 2010
give her a tofu burger,  that should stop the bitching,   not married myself  

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
On the food channel they say "even a vegetarian can't resist bacon". Don't exactly know where you go with that?

Just my $0.02.

Dave 

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
MES Smoker $298.00

AMNS Cold Smoker $29.95

Pork Butt $1.29 lb

Ribs $1.49 lb

NEW WIFE THAT EATS MEAT... PRICELESS...

bpopovitz

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 29, 2008
I had an idea for smoked black beans and green chile tamales, just havent got around to it yet....I did do some smoked black beans... REALLLLY good.  Smoked them and added them to chili. 

Hey how about a vegetarian chili smoked....

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 17, 2009
stuffed bell peppers are really good on the smoker. You can stuff with rice and beans, and a little cheese (whatever cheese doesn't make her sick). Search for stuffed cabbage, I have seen a few on here that look really good!

duckjunkie194

Joined Dec 28, 2010
She said she's gonna make some bean thing she likes and let me add some extra touches for the smoker.  I think I'm off the hook on this one.  She loves all your responses.  Theres no sense trading her in, no one else would put up with all my crap like she does!

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Smoked Tofurky!

Another thing you can do for her is to smoke and vacuum seal a bunch of differant veggies (and a block or two of tofu). Then when she is making a sandwich or salad or anything else she could just pop open a bag of say smoked red bellpepper to put on top of a sandwich.

.... or you do what I do and make smart a$$ comments, and continue to work on my ducking reflexes....

smokermark

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 15, 2010
She said she's gonna make some bean thing she likes and let me add some extra touches for the smoker.  I think I'm off the hook on this one.  She loves all your responses.  Theres no sense trading her in, no one else would put up with all my crap like she does!
Good to hear that you are off the hook! Stuffed peppers with rice maybe with her favorite veggies? Yellow bell pepper boats, perhaps? If she eats/likes butter, truffle butter with black truffles would be a fantastic option IMO with basmati rice and vegetables and beans. Good stuff. Eggplant steaks? That's another that butter could be used with. Veggie pizza or tofu sausage?

Enjoy the game Sunday!

carpetride

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 25, 2008
Whatever you cook, smoke some bacon on the rack above it and don't tell her...she will think you are a god!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.