Help....To many Butts :-/

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

symansaysbbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
CT
Hey everyone, I am in need of some suggestions. I am having our annual Fall fest at my home tomorrow and the guest list exploded. We normally get about 30-40 people to this event ever year. This year is special and the guest list just broke the 70 mark
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif
I am not scared of cooking for all of them. The problem is my back up smoker is too small. My original custom smoker is out of commotion (the mice took it over last winter)
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
You can take a look at it when is was working.

I now have to resort to a tag sale unit until I can complete the next build.

My question is... I have 4 pork butts that avg about 8lbs ea and I need them done and ready to eat by 2/3pm tomorrow. My smoker will fit 2 of them. I was thinking of starting 2 of them in the smoker around midnight and starting the other 2 in the oven and switching them when the internal temps are about 165. The ones that go from the smoker to the oven will get wrapped in foil while the ones that started in the oven will start with foil and then removed when put on the smoker.

Will this work?

Thanks

~Aaron

I guess that would work although the oven to smoker one would not have the same somked taste.  If it was me I would be somking 2 of then now and when dome some the other two and reheat for guests

Ya I thought of that :-/ I just didn't have the time, so much stuff to do. Do you think if I used butcher twine and tied two of them together they would cook ok? This way I my be able to fit all 4 of them...

Personally I would get the first two on asap and when they hit 165 foil them and into the oven at 225 and get the other two into the smoker.

I agree with Piney. get two going and up to foil temp then stuff  them in the oven.  Then put the next two on the smoke. if you have to, up the oven temp to speed it alone. Once you get to 165 and in foil it's just a matter of cooking it to temp.

I hope it works out for ya

Thank you all for your help. In the end I was able to get my nabors custom cooker :-) I will post some pics. Thanks 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky