Help - Strange Temp Reading - Nearing End of Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridarandy

Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Sarasota, Florida
11 pounder on since 9 pm last nite.  Temp (Maverick 732) in thickest part of flat is 198, however, inserted in the side of the flat mid thickness its 171?  I don't want to dry out the thinner end, but how can temp here be less than nearer the point? 

Probe meets resistance in the area of 171, but runs in smoothly in 198.  Could the 198 be hitting a seam of fat?

Thanks,

Last edited:
this is my first brisky.  now that its getting cooked i can see where the point and flat separate.  the brisky is fat side down and i'd assumed the thicker part of the flat was at the thickest part of the packer....could it be that the flat is on top and is actually thinner as it rides up on the point?  that would make the higher temps here make sense.  then by inserting the probe in the middle of the flat (left to right) and inserted from the side i have penetrated only the flat....at a thicker point...making the temp less?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky