Help smoking a wild sow ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skippy

Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
need info on a good way to smoke a ham. I have a electric smoker, but do not know what to rub it with or inject it with. any good recipes?

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome Skippy to SMF. If you would please Stop into Roll call and introduce yourself and your equipment and we can give you the big howdy that we like to give to new members. Now back to your ham. First I would set your smoker for maybe 230-250ish and let it go till it hits 165° and foil it and then take it too maybe 195°-200° and then into a dry cooler for a hour or so. Then take it out and enjoy. After you stopp into Roll Call I would recommend signing up for the E-course. It's free and very informative. It will give you the basics of smoking meat and some really good recipes too.

Personally I treat wild pig hams just as I would a pork butt as long as it has decent fat content. If the ham is lacking fat you can lay some bacon on it while smoking it.  I normally use Jeff's rub or a modified version of it. Smoker temp of 225-250 for me

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky