• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cowboy2oo6

Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Hello, I just bought a pitboss 1100 from lowes been messing with this thing for about 2 weeks now. Tried smoking and everything cooks way to fast. I have it set on p7 and my temp gauge is still reading 250-290. I've messed with the cap on the smoke stack, tried different pellets. Tried looking stuff up and nothing helped. Even after cleaning the fire pot It is in direct sunlight on the back porch. I have no shade to put it in. But I don't think it should still run that hot. Thanks for the help.

In the manual p7 says it's the lowest setting. But I tried p0 and it climbed to 450... but that was the gauge on the lid and the actual digital read out on the grill its self. But when I tried ps4 it was around 350

Was that a steady temp or was it fluctuating? My pit boss goes a lot warmer when I adjust the temp but comes back to about where I ask it to be.

On p4 the lowest it would go was 250 after it burned for an 30-45 mins. Would bounce from 250 to 295.

Sounds like a new probe for the controller is needed, just make sure your not putting food right next to the probe or touching it if loading it heavy, my Austin xl is the same style but is the first generation controller, it works very well and has for over 2 years now. swings are common and ok long as its 20-30 1 way or the other but staying there aint , your target temp should be the pivot point , I used mine this week to smoke/grill some chicken at 350 and it stayed within 5 degree on the controller and the lid therm, reach out to PB and I am sure they will take care of it.

Reactions: Cowboy2oo6
So you are just using the mfr temp probes? It’s a broken record here to get a good 3rd party temp probe ... unless a PID controller, virtually all mfr ones are inaccurate. Then you can set the mfr controller set point based on the actual temp on the grate. Will still swing +/- if not a PID but at least can get the pivot point where you really want it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky