Help on stuffed chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Looking this weekend to smoke some stuffed chicken, wanting to stuff some stove top stuffing on either some breast or thighs, thinking of pounding it flat, making the stuffing, then put it into the pounded breast or thigh then wrapping it with bacon. Which one would be better the breast or thigh? Thanks for advice.
dannylang

From what you posted it doesn't appear you need much help!

I'm not a big Stovetop fan but in a pinch it will do only if its the Savory Herbs variety.

I'd go with thighs and probably bone them but leave the skin on. Breasts pounded thin will dry out too much. Also, if I was going to that trouble I'd make homemade stuffing. Nothing wrong with Stove Top, but homemade is better and just about as easy.

Reactions: fivetricks
I use boneless skin less thighs . Bread crumbs , melted butter , garlic and Italian seasoning on the inside . Roll up and tie or tooth pick . Olive oil and bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese on the outside . Cook indirect .

You can use breast , but like bregent said , watch for drying out . When I use breast I pre cook and cool the stuffing before adding it to the meat . Then cook chicken 'til done .

Looking this weekend to smoke some stuffed chicken, wanting to stuff some stove top stuffing on either some breast or thighs, thinking of pounding it flat, making the stuffing, then put it into the pounded breast or thigh then wrapping it with bacon. Which one would be better the breast or thigh? Thanks for advice.
dannylang

Would deboning a whole chicken be an option?

The deboning is a bit of a pain but the stuffing part can't be beat: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-margarita-lime-chicken-galantine.257630/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-turkey-galantine-happy-thanksgiving.281709/

Personally I would use breasts and brine them then depending on thickness either split and pound flat or just pound flat then stuff roll up wrap bacon and tie which will also help keep it moist. While doing them maybe try stuffing one with feta cheese and spinach to see how it tastes wouldn't be hard to do as long as your doing the ones with stuffing. I saw you were trying this for maybe doing for Thanksgiving but the feta spinach ones might be good for a different time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky