Help on Air intake - My attempt at "Mailbox mod"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
R Runas06

After looking at the pictures you posted you most likely will want to drill and set a few bolts to hold the bottom rack an 1 1/2- 2'' above the bottom of the roaster pan, so your maze gets better air circulation around the maze.

Huge thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond to a newbie.

I got my hole saw in today and got it rough fitted. Ended up doing the following:

1. Drilled 1/8 inch holes, 2 inches from the bottom of the pan, inserted a SS bolt and fastened with a nut so the rack the AMNPS sits on is raised even more
2. Drilled 4 1/2 holes, two on each side, 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan (below AMNPS). This will be for airflow for the AMNPS
3. Drilled one 3/4 inch hole slightly above the level of the AMNPS... Hopefully to facilitate draft
4. Added a 2ft stack
5. Going to paint it all black with 2000⁰ high temp enamel paint... Purely cosmetic

Will post a picture upon my return.... Trip to the in-laws is delaying my smoking fun 🤷‍♂️

Oh, I also saw this in homedepot.... Anyone have any experience with an in-line fan like this? Seems like a solid idea, but I also worry about creosote gunking it up quickly. Thought it might be great in the stack though....
PXL_20210113_201330888.jpg
PXL_20210113_201310997.jpg

Oh, I also saw this in homedepot.... Anyone have any experience with an in-line fan like this? Seems like a solid idea, but I also worry about creosote gunking it up quickly. Thought it might be great in the stack though....
View attachment 480331View attachment 480332
I would pass on the fan for many reasons, first of which would be too much air flow in the cooker drying out the meat. Don’t power vent your smoke pot. Bad things will come.

Reactions: M3 Pete and Runas06
I would pass on the fan for many reasons, first of which would be too much air flow in the cooker drying out the meat. Don’t power vent your smoke pot. Bad things will come.
I agree. Your MES heat element should provide plenty of hot air rising in the box to the top vent, creating a draw that pulls in smoke from the generator. As for a stack, I just use a single tin can that fits in the top vent, just to keep the smoke off the control box. No problems so far.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky