Help!!! New smoker needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jay porter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Middle Georgia
My 2nd masterbuilt electric (one analog and one digital) in 6 years has taken a dump and I need a new smoker. This is the 2nd time that the smoker has lost its ground. It trips the ground fault when its plugged in correctly, and shocks the shit out of me when I bypass the ground fault. I want to go stick-burner, but the budget won't allow it right now. What is my best bet for an electric smoker that will actually hold up to continued use under $300? OR, is this the best I can expect for an electric in that price range?

You could also get a good propane smoker in that price range. No worries about anything electric there!

My second hand (under $30) Big Chief did a great job. It still works, but don't use it lately.
My next electric will be a multi fuel Westinghouse refrigerator home build,

Thread below yours with links to two great MES deals.
I'm currently going through a dispute with Masterbuilt and I can say they have terrible customer service and do not support my less than 4 year old smoker with parts availability. I've gone through 3 controllers in that time and they will no longer provide the correct controller (no stock and not re-ordering). I will not purchase another MES or Kamado Joe (they own both companies). Buyer beware!

Have you checked wire connections in the backend? Has been the answer to a lot of people's problems in the past.

Have you checked wire connections in the backend? Has been the answer to a lot of people's problems in the past.
Thank you Winterrider, The problem I have had with the last two controllers is that they delaminate leaving only the push pins visible. I store mine on a covered porch well out of the weather (sun/snow/rain). The bigger problem is that Masterbuilt is abandoning it's customers when it comes to replacement parts! If they don't do what they promised, I'm done with Masterbuilt and others should do the same.

I have the original Mes Gen 1 40 stainless steel inside and out with the medallion logo Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse below the window Igot in May 2015. When the controller failed I did the PID controller mod and high temp heating element lugs first because I didn't get to a year of use before they disintegrated. Today I adjusted the door and it seals and latches fine. The back panel the first year where the top rear controller mounts had insulation expand to pop a couple rivets which is no problem and then the next year the door top and bottom plastic cracked at the rivets and got pushed up on the top and down at the bottom which seams to be no problem. I'm just getting distortion from the expanding foam insulation and it has never been to 300*. If you look closely at the flat surfaces inside and out and the door they are slightly distorted like an expanding marshmallow but is square at the door to seal. I figured after the foam insulation cured it could cook and disintegrate not rise like a loaf of bread.

My 2nd masterbuilt electric (one analog and one digital) in 6 years has taken a dump and I need a new smoker. This is the 2nd time that the smoker has lost its ground. It trips the ground fault when its plugged in correctly, and shocks the shit out of me when I bypass the ground fault. I want to go stick-burner, but the budget won't allow it right now. What is my best bet for an electric smoker that will actually hold up to continued use under $300? OR, is this the best I can expect for an electric in that price range?
Sounds like you may be done with electric. Look into Weber Smokey Mountain. The 22.5" is $459.00. The smaller ones are less. You will never get shocked again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky