Help, my smoker won't get over 240 with wings in now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goathead666

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, Ca
I put the wings in about 30 minutes ago and can't get the damn smoker temp above 250 now.. Can I yank them after 1.5 hours and finish on the grill.. I don't want to wreck the 5lbs of wings 

I would not think that it would be a problem. You might not get all the smoke flavor you are looking for. But it should work out OK.

Yeah, let them get some smoke and then either use the oven and broiler or grill...........or if they come out of the smoker almost done just crisp them on the grill. 

Try putting up a make shift wind block and see if ya can get temps higher. I see no reason you cant finish in the oven or grill ether. 

You can smoke wings as low as 225 to an IT of 165 and finish on the grill - go by temp not time 

Since your smoker is fueled by propane I would check for a vapor lock in the line, this happens from turning the propane off at the tank while the the valve at the smoker is still on. Way to fix it is turn your smoker off, turn the propane at the tank off and then disconnect the propane hose. Now reconnect the hoses, turn the propane on at the tank, then turn the valve on the smoker back on and light it. If your temps pop back up to a normal (higher than you were previously achieving), you had a vapor lock from not shut the smoker down correctly.

Also if you turn the valve on too fast the regulator will shut down. Like Mossy said disconnect everything & start over. If that doesn't work, I have had this problem in the past & had to make a quick run to H. Depot & get a new regulator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky