Help - Monster Brisket (with pic)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cincyque

Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I have a big party on Saturday and I'm anxious to smoke a whole brisket for the first time. I didn't want to do a flat half since I want the whole brisket experience. They had a couple of 12-13 pounders in cryovac, but they didn't look great. They had one very nice looking 18 pounder - well covered in soft fat but not a lot of the hard stuff. So I bought it.

What now?

Should I cut off part of the flat end - say about the last 10 inches/4 pounds - and freeze it for later?

Any idea how long this will take?

I can probably fit the whole thing flat on a shelf in my MES, or cut it in two and do on 2 shelves. Is there any advantage to smoking this in two pieces vs. a whole? If whole, won't the narrow end be way overcooked before the thick end is done?

I plan on giving it a nice rub this evening and then smoking at 220 degrees until about 175. Any other brisket basics I should know about.

I will cook this on Friday to serve at a party Saturday afternoon. Any tips on how to reheat and serve? Should I slice it up and and gently reheat in the natural juices or reheat it whole and then slice?

I guess I should have asked these questions before I bought 18 pounds of choice beeff. But what the heck...with good beef and a smoke it will probably be great no matter what I do. But, any tips would be appreciated.

If you cook it as one piece it will be quite a long smoke. Keep that in mind.

If it was me, I'd cute off part of the flat, freeze it and smoke the rest.

I think I'd be tempted to cut it but then think about smoking the other part and take the temp on up and have some pulled beef. You could always freeze that for quick meals its tastes great heated up and is good when you don't have the time to smoke. Dutch has a thread about reheating then slicing its a sticky under Beef. The ones I have done I sliced then reheated in a rice steamer or in a roasting pan at 250* with some of the left over juices. I'm sure you've read this thread but here it is in case you missed it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=1574

Good luck I'm sure it will be great and don't forget some Qview

This is my adapted Paul Kirk method:

Bring your pit up to 235. Trim the fat to 1/4 inch thickness. Mark the flat end by making an end cut perpendicular to the grain. Slather with mustard and sprinkle with rub. Insert probe into meat. At 165 - 170 remove the point and foil the flat. When th flat hits 195 - 200 remove the foil and reserve and defat the juice. Place the flat back on for 30 to 40 minutes to crust up again. Make a sauce using defatted juice and BBQ sauce. Slice flat into 1/4 inch slices and paint lightly with sauce. The point is for bark. Serve bark and slices.

-rob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky