Featured Help me design my outdoor space

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Following, pre planning is the way to go, I just finished our roofed deck build and I left an area unroofed for grills and smokers figuring I would have plenty of room for 5 grills. I now am finding it a bit difficult to arrange things for the perfict fit.View attachment 500324
How big is that deck? How big it is under roof?

I am in a very similar situation. I have a 16X24 outdoor pavillion already built up at our lake property so I will be following this thread. The uprights are steel with a metal roof. We have a mat that lays on the ground that keeps the weeds from growing and you can actually walk in there barefoot but I will be pouring a concrete slab. My stick burner occupies the six foot section in the rear so that leaves me a space of 16X16 to work with. I plan on building 36" walls and adding counter tops of a undecided material.

Don't need a built in gasser. The stick burner handles nearly everything that needs to be smoked or grilled. I am going with a 36" counter top griddle with a wind break built around it. The exterior of the walls will be metal siding that matches the post frame building in the background. Other than that the rest is pretty much a blank canvas. Like you Binford I have considered concrete counter tops but two things in life are guaranteed. Death and cracked concrete! My neighbor is doing something very similar and is using concrete counter tops so I'm going to see how his come out.

Perhaps we can bounce ideas off one another Binford. Here is a pic of what I'm starting with.

View attachment 500305
Following, pre planning is the way to go, I just finished our roofed deck build and I left an area unroofed for grills and smokers figuring I would have plenty of room for 5 grills. I now am finding it a bit difficult to arrange things for the perfict fit.View attachment 500324

These structures, are exactly what I want to build on top of my new deck.
Now just imagine them screened in and we are set!

My 2 Cents - esp. after I was informed of a few discrepancies with my set -up . Make sure you have some kind of OH S*** device - whether it be a hose in the immediate area, or some kind of built in suppression device ( or a couple of hand-held ones )

Reactions: Binford 6100
Thx for the pics. Forget my slab idea (with acid stained concrete); your back slider door is considerably elevated from ground level so a deck is a natural. But if you want it enclosed and with a roof, you better start getting estimates...the structure itself may consume your $35k budget leaving no $ for appliances, etc. Some cost-savings measures could include corrugated steel panels for roofing (sounds nice in a light rain) and the use of shade cloth ("sail cloth") or window screen for walls.
I agree the stairs look shot but the 2x6 deck boards look pretty good...maybe you can flip them over and re-use them and just firm up the under-support?...it probably needs new footings, re-leveling, and a general refurbishing.
I don't have a good sense of scale (the 1st picture makes the deck look tiny; the 2nd makes it look huge) but it appears the existing layout has room for an island for serving off to the right (as you come out of the house) and your cookers can go behind it. And then your chairs and tables can be where you have them now.

I will be using a steel roof. That was the plan from day one. And the walls will be screened in. Possibly half walls.
As far as the budget goes. The 35k is not an all inclusive price. Thats the money for the structure and replaceable deck.
Any fridge or table and chairs wouldn't be Included. As for quotes do my wife's brothers are contractors and will be buying all the materials from them. So the only quote to get, is labor that I don't plan on doing myself.

I need plans first. Which is why I made this thread. To get some better idea to start drawing up plans.
Granted I have a good idea of what I want already in my head, but I was thinking an outside view of things might help me mitigate any potential problems.

Reactions: Colin1230
I am in a very similar situation. I have a 16X24 outdoor pavillion already built up at our lake property so I will be following this thread. The uprights are steel with a metal roof. We have a mat that lays on the ground that keeps the weeds from growing and you can actually walk in there barefoot but I will be pouring a concrete slab. My stick burner occupies the six foot section in the rear so that leaves me a space of 16X16 to work with. I plan on building 36" walls and adding counter tops of a undecided material.

Don't need a built in gasser. The stick burner handles nearly everything that needs to be smoked or grilled. I am going with a 36" counter top griddle with a wind break built around it. The exterior of the walls will be metal siding that matches the post frame building in the background. Other than that the rest is pretty much a blank canvas. Like you Binford I have considered concrete counter tops but two things in life are guaranteed. Death and cracked concrete! My neighbor is doing something very similar and is using concrete counter tops so I'm going to see how his come out.

Perhaps we can bounce ideas off one another Binford. Here is a pic of what I'm starting with.

View attachment 500305
Thats a great space to start with!
I'm jealous, I also think that maybe half walls would be a good idea.
Or at least on 2 sides. I am thinking maybe full screened in walls on the deck side, and half walls on the sides that will be open to the ground.
I'm not sure yet.

Concrete counter tops done correctly will be ok. If you make sure to put in some wire mesh a d some construction joints, it will crack in the joints and you will never really see them.
If you pour in small sections it won't crack either.
It just depends on how big of a countertop you want.

The idea about a sun shade for the windows is a great idea. I think I will definitely be doing that.

Last edited:
The idea about a sun shade for the windows is a great idea. I think I will definitely be doing that.
Another option...Tallbm (he's a pretty clever fellow) recently posted some pics, although I can't find them right now, of a smaller patio arrangement he has. (You could PM him?) He had made vertical louvers out of 1x6 fenceboards (or perhaps they were smooth finished 1x4's?) with the corners connected so moving one moved them all, so you could go from 100% closed to 90% open with a single movement. It was a slick way to temporarily separate his cooking area from his communal areas. (But defintely more massive than screen or sail cloth however.)

Also, I'm not sure of winds in your neck of the wood but ensure any connections/joints between your roofing/wall structure and your deck & its under-structure can handle both the compressive forces of gravity as well as the tensile forces involved with potential wind loading. Most decks are designed assuming all loading is down. Adding a roof changes that assumption. That may not be readily apparent to many deck builders.

And I totally get the soft, ruined deck boards issue...I replaced mine about a decade ago with a slab (only needed 2 brick steps to reach ground level). I got about 25 years from that deck. Polymeric ("Trex") boards may help, but the structure underneath is still built with lumber I'm afraid. At least in your case (tall deck) you can design entry points underneath where one can get in periodically to inspect and do preventive maintenance.

Binford here is a source for custom made mosquito curtains or vinyl for outdoor structures. Not sure if I'm going to go that route or not but I've kept the link handy. I have another smaller shed on the property that's 10X15 I think I'm going to order mosquito curtains for the roll up door for that building first and see how I like them.

Finally got around to for some very rough floor plan drawings. Guys I'm not a artist or and never took drafting in high school or anything so bare with me! I put dimensions on it, but it's not even close to scale.

The first is just a quick draw up the existing deck with the two red lines showing where the new edges of the new deck would be.

20210622_102841~2.jpg

Then this one showing the new floor plan.
I added in a side "catwalk" so to speak with some stairs on the backside of the new pavillion to get down to grass level.
Then some stairs kinda leading out on the side. I currently have a set of stairs in that area on the existing deck.
20210622_102832~2.jpg

Reactions: Colin1230
Thanks. I am unsure about the side catwalk, rear stairs, area right now, I know I want stairs back there but I don't know if I should keep something like it is, or just a door on the backside.
Right now the " backside" is the north side, so I had planned on making that side the cooking side. I'll draw something up while I'm at work tomorrow

OK.. Here's some built in smokehouses you might be able to get some ideas from... It's in Polish so you will have to translate to English to read...

WARNING... It's pretty addictive ( as is SMF) once you start looking at them... it's hard to stop ...

OK.. Here's some built in smokehouses you might be able to get some ideas from... It's in Polish so you will have to translate to English to read...

WARNING... It's pretty addictive ( as is SMF) once you start looking at them... it's hard to stop ...

cool!

Google translates it for me. but, if I have a questions I have a buddy from Poland.

So I'm thinking under roof that a tile would be the best way to go, what kind of sub floor would I need to put tile on. Thinking plywood, but I would be worried about outside conditions on the bottom side. Non issue? Or just overthinking it?

So I'm thinking under roof that a tile would be the best way to go, what kind of sub floor would I need to put tile on. Thinking plywood, but I would be worried about outside conditions on the bottom side. Non issue? Or just overthinking it?
If the floor of the covered area is continuous with the open deck portion, you can hardly use plywood because the edge is exposed to the elements. In that continuous case the floor of the covered area should be the same decking boards--you can staple screen or cheesecloth or about anything underneath if you fear bugs getting in from the deck boards. Your door into that area then just needs a rubber sweep underneath to keep water out while still allowing it to swing open with imperfections in the flatness of the floor or the squareness of its mounting.
But if you're going to step up into the covered area, then the plywood and tile sounds fine--you just have to ensure your wall support (base boards) extends over the edge of that plywood to keep it dry. Calking still wouldn't hurt.
I'll add that the walls sounds open (screen) so it will may get wet inside during rain, making tile potentially slippery. Whatever your screen/shadecloth choice is, you might want to play around with a garden hose and a sample of it to see how much water leaks or beads its way through.

So was just wondering if you have made any progress on your build? Also, tallbm tallbm do you have the pics that were discussed in post # 30?

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky