Help in purchasing new Gas smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hammmerhead

Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Hello friends. I am looking to purchase a new gas smoker. I have used an old charcoal unit for about 15 years and decided I am done staying up into the wee hours and fighting the inconsistent heat battles.  I have narrowed it down to two units, both wide models 1. The Landmann extrawide which is priced 33% higher than the 2.Masterbuilt extrawide from Bass Pro shops.  Before I go any further, is there any downfall going to a short wide box as compared to the more traditional narrow tall box?  Maybe the short wides are not selling as well, but I was curious why the manufscturers were offering them cheaper than the old school tall and narrow boxes as noted on Landmann's site.

I dont want to step on any toes here, but it seems the Landmann is 100 bucks more for a reason. The chip box looks to be better thought out to me, but thats why I am asking the folks here with much more experience. I would love to save money with the masterbuilt, but I dont want to have to mod it from the get go.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two models, or better yet, have any other units to consider that I have not mentioned?

I am sticking with Gas over the Electric units.

Thanks for any and all input.

I don't have a gasser, but I know a lot of guys on here have GOSM big blocks. So far I have heard only good things about them. Maybe you should check them out too.

Thanks for the reply Al. I think Landmann and GOSM are one in the same company...... but dont hold me to that. Hopefully some folks will start chiming in with some info on these.

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome Hammer head to SMF. I' am a gasser and I would recommend the Smoke Vault 24". I have a GOSM and it's a good smoker but the vault is a better smoker it's bigger. You'll like it here cause there are alot of really good folks that would just love to help you with anything to do with smoking. Now we like having new folks here to give a new prospective on some of the ways we do things around here. Now if you are really new then I would suggest that you sign up fir the 5-day E-course it free and it will give you the basics on smoking and a few recipes too. Here's a link to it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/127

then you will have a method to your newly found madness and believe me it will be a madness. Then when you start smoking things you will have to learn how to post the pictures / Qview 

here. So here's a link to a tutorial on how to post your Qview so we can see what your doing.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Now the next thing you have to do is run out and get something to smoke. Then just smoke it and if you have any questions just post  them here and we will answer all your questions that you might have. Oh yea there's no stupid questions we were all there in the beginning and we just really like to help others enjoy the fabulous smoked foods that we do. So again

Welcome to Your New Addiction  

Go GATORS  

Hey Hammer,

Welcome to SMF, great bunch of people here and lots of good cooks and recipes to expand the girth.

I like your avatar, brings back old memories of Formosa Drag Strip and the Fuel and Gas Championships, from the tension on the blower belt and the butterflies closed I'd say she's idling, man I can almost see and smell the raw nitro shooting out the tubes and hear the cackle, one of my dreams was to pilot a AA Fueler.

Anyway, as to your question, I own a Landman GOSM Big Block and I like it, I've made some modifications to fit my needs, the heavy cast iron fire box works well for producing the thin blue.  What I would suggest is for you to consider what you will be using it for, if your ambient temp is high like mine it will be next to impossible to generate the low temps for sausage smoking, 225° was the lowest I could go before mods, except at night I could get it down to 180° with a needle valve installed, but I like my sleep too much to babysit it. The wide model allows you to have more cooking space and as you probably know from your charcoal burner experience there is never enough of that.

After saying all of that I would strongly suggest the MES 40 with an AMNS smoker from Todd, I know you said you weren't interested in an electric, but they can do all that my heavily  modified GOSM can do and never run out of gas, ...straight out of the box!

What ever you choose have fun and don't forget the Q-view.

Gene

Thanks for all the replys. I actually learnned something yesterday after a conversation with worker at Landmann.  Landmann built all of GOSM's equipment before they went under which explains their close similarities. They also informed me that they have another smoker coming out this summer with a few new tweaks here and there. This new model will be their biggest smoker they have ever offered trumping their current largest by a couple inches in all directions. I went ahead and ordered a Landmann 3605 BGD which looks a lot like the old GOSM big block. I hope I dont have the high temp woes that so many have with some gas smokers, but I smoke more in the winter and we have been having some freakishly cold winters lately, so I steared clear of the electric models for fear of too low temps and very long smoke times.

Having said all that. What is the first thing you guys would throw on to break in your new smoker?  I know Im gonna have a couple of chickens and some sausage, but what Pork cuts would you go with?  I have never been able to smoke any beef brisket to my satisfaction, so now that I have a new box Im going to have to buckle down and learn some beef tricks and techniques.

Thanks for the kind words Just passing thru.  I dont have to many Avatars, but this one keeps memories around for me as well!

Last edited:
Good call SmokinAl !   Now if I could just get that new box on my doorstep I would be in business!

Hello friends. I am looking to purchase a new gas smoker. I have used an old charcoal unit for about 15 years and decided I am done staying up into the wee hours and fighting the inconsistent heat battles.  I have narrowed it down to two units, both wide models 1. The Landmann extrawide which is priced 33% higher than the 2.Masterbuilt extrawide from Bass Pro shops.  Before I go any further, is there any downfall going to a short wide box as compared to the more traditional narrow tall box?  Maybe the short wides are not selling as well, but I was curious why the manufscturers were offering them cheaper than the old school tall and narrow boxes as noted on Landmann's site.

I dont want to step on any toes here, but it seems the Landmann is 100 bucks more for a reason. The chip box looks to be better thought out to me, but thats why I am asking the folks here with much more experience. I would love to save money with the masterbuilt, but I dont want to have to mod it from the get go.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two models, or better yet, have any other units to consider that I have not mentioned?

I am sticking with Gas over the Electric units.

Thanks for any and all input.
Here's a bunch of info, hope this helps

GOSM BB NOTES

You made a good choice, I really like mine, have fun and enjoy it.

What pork cuts? Let's see..., a fattie or two, some ABT's, moink balls, Armadillo eggs, you have four shelves so you might as well fill them up. 
biggrin.gif

Impatiently waiting for the Q-view,

Gene

p.s. is that your rail?

Here's a bunch of info, hope this helps

GOSM BB NOTES
Oh, your page was the deciding factor for me SQWIB as I found it a day before I ordered. Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. Lots of good info there and Im looking forward to trying out that recipe on the beans.

Smoker is showing up today and the inlaws will be here tonight....what great timing! Now I have something for me and the Father inlaw to keep busy with and stay out of the hens way!

Cant believe Landmann is getting me the 100lb smoker in 3 days to my doorstep. Kudos to Landmann!

Oh, your page was the deciding factor for me SQWIB as I found it a day before I ordered. Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. Lots of good info there and Im looking forward to trying out that recipe on the beans.

Smoker is showing up today and the inlaws will be here tonight....what great timing! Now I have something for me and the Father inlaw to keep busy with and stay out of the hens way!

Cant believe Landmann is getting me the 100lb smoker in 3 days to my doorstep. Kudos to Landmann!
Awesome, glad I could help.

Just wish Bass Pro still carried them at $199.00 with free ship.

Make sure to season with wood only, most people will tell you to spray the sides down with PAM, I highly recommend against it, you can spray the grates, drip tray and smoker box with PAM.

If you try those beans make sure to thank Dutch for that wonderful recipe, he started the thread in August of '06 (I would like to see that thread stay active)

Here's the original post

Well I got the box in and had time to slap it together during my lunch break. I was suprised I actually received a GOSM instead of a Landmann branded box. I cant see any differences in them from SQWIBS pictures on his site. I had one of the chromed side frames that hod the racks tweaked a little, but a couple of tugs here and there and all is good.  I could see a little daylight peeking through the edges on the back seems near the corner, but they are very minimal and I am guessing are normal. I picked up some cherry chunks and gas so I am ready for the first run tonight. Cant wait until 5:30!  TGIF!

I was going to post a photo of my last engine for Just passing thru, but I cant get it to post. I am getting an error.  Its a photobucket URL.

Awesome, glad I could help.

Just wish Bass Pro still carried them at $199.00 with free ship.

Make sure to season with wood only, most people will tell you to spray the sides down with PAM, I highly recommend against it, you can spray the grates, drip tray and smoker box with PAM.

If you try those beans make sure to thank Dutch for that wonderful recipe, he started the thread in August of '06 (I would like to see that thread stay active)

Here's the original post
Thanks SQWIB. Yeah, I wish I could have saved 100 bucks as well. Will send Dutch a note once I get a batch made. I think I will leave the inside alone unless there is a benefit from spraying it.

BTW SQWIB. My water pan seems really close to the chip box. Is this normal?   Thanks

Last edited:
I'd like to jump into the middle of this fray as well
sausage.gif

I am buying my first smoker as well, but can't decide between these two models, the GOSM that SQWIB talks about, or the 3820G (Outdoor Leisure).  The only real difference between the two that I can see is size (but then again, remember, I really don't know anything compared to you guys!)

The price difference between the two is $0.31 on Amazon ($252.39 for the GOSM and $252.08 for the 3820G).  Any guidance you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hey RidgebackDad,.

I had the 3820G - overall I really liked it, but a couple of niggles...  I wanted a little more size in the unit (a bigger footprint on the cooking grids so that I could fit ribs/briskets more easily).  Also, as I posted on another thread, the lack of air vents at the bottom of the unit is a major problem - couldn't get enough smoker going and the chip/chunk burn was uneven.  None of this is to say that I could produce some good grub, but it was more work to do it (opening the door to stir the chips and thus losing the heat doing it).

I ran across a great deal on the GOSM 3605GD (not the big blocks).  I didn't resolve the footprint issue on the grids.  But, oh my, this thing really smokes!  Wow, a huge difference!

So, I guess I would recommend the big block GOSM, or any other gasser that has the size that you want and the air vents on the bottom.  BTW - the Smoke Hollow folks had told me a couple of months ago that they were going to be releasing a new 40" gasser at the end of March - it sounded really nice with dual doors and a unique design of making the water pan the grease catch as well (no need for a removable grease pan at the bottom).  They said they would start shipping to retailers at the end of March (Academy Sports near me carried Smoke Hollow).  I haven't seen them yet, but you may want to check them out.

Cheers!

Ken
sausage.gif

I am buying my first smoker as well, but can't decide between these two models, the GOSM that SQWIB talks about, or the 3820G (Outdoor Leisure).  The only real difference between the two that I can see is size (but then again, remember, I really don't know anything compared to you guys!)

The price difference between the two is $0.31 on Amazon ($252.39 for the GOSM and $252.08 for the 3820G).  Any guidance you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

FANTASTIC!!!

As for the daylight you are seeing, I'm sure you have some hi-temp silicon sealer hanging around some where, ...you might want to run a bead on the bottom seams too, they leak grease on the floor and yes the water pan is close to the chip box.

SQWIB has some good stuff, I learned from him to stack the wood in the chip box one on top of another (I also add a couple chunks of lump), at first I filled the box full and after a while all of the wood started to smoke and that was too much smoke.

I use to use Photobucket, I've found it's so much easier just to paste the pics directly from my computer, when the window comes up after selecting the insert photo option, click on browse computer and that will take you to the photos stored in you computer, select the one you want and click on save and then submit, voila, it's that easy.

One time a buddy and I went to the Winter Nationals in Pomona, we arrived just as they were opening the gates to the public, the crews were sitting around drinking coffee and eating donuts, the dragsters were out of their trailers and it was a great opportunity to see them up close and not get in the way. As the morning progressed they started up the motors and we were amazed at the sound they produced, they sounded like our bracket cars, where was that distinctive cackle that we were looking for?  Then I noticed a small temporary tank strapped to the car with a fuel line running to the engine, one by one we watched the mechanics turn a valve on the fuel tank up front and then shut the valve on the temporary tank, you know what I'm talking about, they were warming up the engine on gasoline and then switched over to the nitro.  The point of this story is: while briskets, butts and chickens are very good in their own rights, I tend think of them as the engine warming up on the gasoline, now IMHO..., fatties, ABTs and such are like when it's switched it over to the good stuff, I've been known to fill up on them and not touch the main course. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for thinking of me and I hope your first smoke went well,

Gene

Thanks SQWIB. Yeah, I wish I could have saved 100 bucks as well. Will send Dutch a note once I get a batch made. I think I will leave the inside alone unless there is a benefit from spraying it.

BTW SQWIB. My water pan seems really close to the chip box. Is this normal?   Thanks

Yes it's close, that is one of the reasons I suggest wiping the bottom of the water tray with a dry paper towel after each smoke...you get a nasty tar buildup underneath from the wood .

sausage.gif

Hey RidgebackDad,.

I had the 3820G - overall I really liked it, but a couple of niggles...  I wanted a little more size in the unit (a bigger footprint on the cooking grids so that I could fit ribs/briskets more easily).  Also, as I posted on another thread, the lack of air vents at the bottom of the unit is a major problem - couldn't get enough smoker going and the chip/chunk burn was uneven.  None of this is to say that I could produce some good grub, but it was more work to do it (opening the door to stir the chips and thus losing the heat doing it).

I ran across a great deal on the GOSM 3605GD (not the big blocks).  I didn't resolve the footprint issue on the grids.  But, oh my, this thing really smokes!  Wow, a huge difference!

So, I guess I would recommend the big block GOSM, or any other gasser that has the size that you want and the air vents on the bottom.  BTW - the Smoke Hollow folks had told me a couple of months ago that they were going to be releasing a new 40" gasser at the end of March - it sounded really nice with dual doors and a unique design of making the water pan the grease catch as well (no need for a removable grease pan at the bottom).  They said they would start shipping to retailers at the end of March (Academy Sports near me carried Smoke Hollow).  I haven't seen them yet, but you may want to check them out.

Cheers!

Ken
There you have it.

Well. I put two Chickens, a 9lb Butt and about 20 links of Italian Sausage in over the weekend and this thing truly did an awesome job. I went through a small sack of Cherry chunks and the smoke box worked like a charm.  I had a little leak at the top of the door, but a hammer and a wooden block made short notice of that. I just gave each hinge a light hit straight back and the gap is perfect now. On the handle side of the door where the edge is folded over I gave the whole edge a good squeeze with my fingers from top to bottom and it now closes and the edges seal perfectly.... almost 100% without having to buy a rope seal. The leaks were not over the top by any means, I just have a problem with little things like that getting to me. With the door open the box is not as sturdy as I thought it would be and can be flexed pretty easy. I could see how moving the thing around and a quick stumble could tweak a leg or two causing the box itself to not be square. As I was moving my old 15yr old charcoal vertical smoker from the back porch to store in the shop I noticed how the outside was a thicker metal including the legs and it doesnt flex a bit. I used to use a dolly to move my old smoker around and the thing was indestructable.  I could see how someone could bend or tweak something here or there with the BB due to the thinner sheet metal. All in all, I still feel like this is the most complete unit I could have purchased without having to mod the smoke box or any other questionable areas, let alone breaking my checkbook for something much more expensive. I may end up adding some L braces in each corner and welding up the rear seams on a rainy day when I am looking for something to do. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky