Help Identifying Cut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huskerphil

Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Nebraska
Hello Everyone!

My parents were gifted this rather large cut of meat and I was told I should try to smoke it if possible for Christmas dinner. Trying to identity the cut before I look at how to smoke this. It weighs 15-20lbs, has a very thick fat cap, and appears to be beef.

Any thoughts on what this is and how to go about smoking this thing? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7079.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7079.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 133
  • thumbnail_IMG_7080.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7080.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 132
Can't tell by the pictures , but looks like it's been in the freezer awhile . No tags or numbers on it ?

Hard to tell in a picture, while viewing is being blocked by Plastic & Ice.
A lot of cuts are that shape.

Bear

As mosparky pointed out above the vac seal had indeed been broken. The beef did not have a good smell to it so it went bye bye. Picked up a usda choice whole beef ribeye from Costco instead. Thanks for help everyone!

As mosparky pointed out above the vac seal had indeed been broken. The beef did not have a good smell to it so it went bye bye. Picked up a usda choice whole beef ribeye from Costco instead. Thanks for help everyone!

Now you got a good one!!
We'll be waiting for the pics of the finished product on a plate!!

Bear

Now you got a good one!!
We'll be waiting for the pics of the finished product on a plate!!

Bear
I can definitely post my results. Found your prime rib post so will probably be sticking to that. Any other tips? Know a good aus jus recipe?

I can definitely post my results. Found your prime rib post so will probably be sticking to that. Any other tips? Know a good aus jus recipe?

If you follow my Step by Steps, you won't need Au Jus. All of the Meat juices will still be inside the Meat---None will leave @ 220° Smoker Temp.

Bear

If you follow my Step by Steps, you won't need Au Jus. All of the Meat juices will still be inside the Meat---None will leave @ 220° Smoker Temp.

Bear
Roger that! It's a 16.42lb ribeye and I'll be using my Traeger Lil Tex Elite at 225. It can have some higher temp swings, but hopefully it being colder here it stays about 220. Would one think 5-6 hours to smoke?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky