Help I got taken!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There should be a safety thermal snap disk that opens the circuit to the element inside the smoker if it gets too hot. So in the future if the element doesn't heat you may have an access to it but Masterbuilt does on some and like mine you have to cut an access to it in the back panel with a dremel cut off wheel to jumper it to see if it failed and is stuck open or opens too early when it fails for low heating that doesn't go to your set temp. I got the Mes 30 free on FB Marketplace because it wouldn't heat, a power cord directly attached to the element heated and I could hear the relay click when I set temp and time so the next check was the safety thermal snap disk sensor and a lug was fried so I just bypassed it with a wire nut since my digital multi probe therm has the pit probe set to 145-290 for an audible alert vs a cold smoker or one on fire when you walk out and check it on a longer night smokes. I'd get a digital multi probe therm with a pit range even with the safety switch intact.
20200814_112956.jpg

I would download the manual and read.

if the element is heating, the element should be ok bar a resistance check.
I did some reading on this yesterday , and it seems there is a specific start up cycle .
Also a lot of complaints about no heat after pre heat . That's why I asked above if it tripped the GFCI .
If the element has a low Ohm reading , the flow of current returns to fast and trips the circuit , thinking it's going to ground .
Makes me wonder if the unit has something internal that trips , then resets .

Scratching my head with preheat mode... Maybe higher power so it heats up fast?

Downloaded the manual, no useful information. I am going to give it a good once over a little later.

Pulled Pork on the BGE came out perfect. Brined it, used my Cocoa Rub, and cooked it to 190.

Sausages were ok, looked great juicy had nice snap, just seemed to be missing something IMHO. Everyone else loved them although I think they were being polite.

Joe

Ok, so after taking it apart I found a loose connection I didn't see yesterday. Hurray all fixed.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Joe
Where was the loose connection at? Thermostat, element, controller? Would be good information to post if someone else has a problem and is looking for answers. A picture says a thousand words too..... Just sayin

Glad you have it fixed . Always start simple and work your way up .
I agree with the fix info and a pic .
9 times out of 10 this type of google search gets a SMF hit in the top 5 .

Ok there are 2 panels on the back. The top one connects I believe to the thermostat. I just jiggled them both. I will take a picture next time I have it out. It makes sense to be the thermostat because the preheat worked.

Joe

Welcome from Dacula Ga. Glad you got it fixed. As you now know, this is the best place to be.

Welcome from Dacula Ga. Glad you got it fixed. As you now know, this is the best place to be.
Sorry for the highjack Joe, but Mike do you know how your town got its name?

Chris

Sorry for the highjack Joe, but Mike do you know how your town got its name?

Chris
I'd wager a guess has something to do with Dracula? When we first moved here in the 90's, my Dad mispronounced it on purpose, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky