Help getting a nice Crispy Crust on a spatchcock chicken. Cook advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jceroli42

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
So I have a XL BGE and in the past had some trouble with getting my spatchcock chickens nice a cripsy.  I have tried indirect skin up hoping for the radiant heat to get the skin crispy, but never achieved that.  I've tried high in the dome direct, still no luck.

Any advice on grid setup and also specifically how techniques for the crisp?  I was breezing through some posts, read @kanealmond  butter basting, can you elaborate?

Thanks all!

Previously I was at about 275-300.  Looking to do one tonight and looking for some advice

You could could put it under the oven broiler after you pull it off the smoker or smoke at a higher temp 325-350.

I finish my turkeys and chickens in a pre-heated oven at 425F to get the crispy skin.  It usually only takes about 5 to 7 minutes and I pull it when I see the skin sizzling.

Toward the end of your smoke, open all vents full open.  Even open the lid for a few minutes to let the ambient air fuel the flame.  Put the lid back and let the chamber temp spike to 400F+ to render the fat from under the skin.  Works like a charm.   

I finish my turkeys and chickens in a pre-heated oven at 425F to get the crispy skin.  It usually only takes about 5 to 7 minutes and I pull it when I see the skin sizzling.

You could could put it under the oven broiler after you pull it off the smoker or smoke at a higher temp 325-350.
Thanks, was hoping to accomplish everything on the smoker... I'll try bumping up the temp.

you guys normally do indirect skin up correct?  maybe doing it direct/skin down at the end?

You still have to get the temperature up to crisp the skin. I have done chicken legs at 325 the entire smoking period and had crisp skin.Good luck with whatever you try.

Warren

Thanks, was hoping to accomplish everything on the smoker... I'll try bumping up the temp.

you guys normally do indirect skin up correct?  maybe doing it direct/skin down at the end?
I sometimes do direct for crispy skin on wings, thighs, drumsticks - then indirect...but if I hold my heat at 325F, I have always had satisfactory skin, even with indirect.

My problem is my electric MES 40 only heats up to 275F - which is why I use the oven.  My ancient Brinkman boiler-plate offset smoker I use for higher heat smokes and grilling and for items with a shorter cook time (so I don't have to tend the fire as long).

After you spatch your bird you need to let it air dry. Mix 4 tablespoons kosher or sea salt with 1 teaspoon baking powder. Evenly sprinkle the mixture on both sides of the bird. Place the bird on a drying rack over a pan and place in the fridge uncovered for 8-24 hours.

Crank your smoker up to 325-350. Season the bird (no more salt needed). Place in the smoker cook until the bird it's an IT of 160-165. Remove, lightly tent with foil, let rest 30 minutes, serve.

I will assume you are using no water pan since you're using a BGE. You don't want to add additional moisture.

If this still doesn't work, when you hit an IT of 145 remove the bird. Crank the heat as high as you can on the BGE and finish the bird.

In my WSM's I go direct the entire cook skin side up.

Last edited:
After you spatch your bird you need to let it air dry. Mix 4 tablespoons kosher or sea salt with 1 teaspoon baking powder. Evenly sprinkle the mixture on both sides of the bird. Place the bird on a drying rack over a pan and place in the fridge uncovered for 8-24 hours.

Crank your smoker up to 325-350. Season the bird (no more salt needed). Place in the smoker cook until the bird it's an IT of 160-165. Remove, lightly tent with foil, let rest 30 minutes, serve.

I will assume you are using no water pan since you're using a BGE. You don't want to add additional moisture.

If this still doesn't work, when you hit an IT of 145 remove the bird. Crank the heat as high as you can on the BGE and finish the bird.

In my WSM's I go direct the entire cook skin side up.
yeahthat.gif

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky