I had the usual problem a lot of other people have had, after a few great years with my MES 40, it finally burnt the connection off the end of the heating element. I figured this was a good time to pick up an Auber PID. My thought was to run a power cord straight from the heating element to the PID, then from the PID to the electrical outlet. Since I know pretty much nothing about what I'm doing, I was hoping someone could tell me if this makes sense? I just tried hooking up power to the heating element, but apparantly I must have it grounded wrong because I got a mild shock out when I touched the chip box. Any ideas? Has someone tried something similar?