Hello...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
Hi all

I am new to smoking style bbqing.
After watching the way Americans smoke their foods I finally went and got myself a small offset smoker.

I have been playing around with it for a few weeks. Feeling like I am not getting right, the food is good but my temps are over the place and I have no idea if I am evening getting the fire side correct.
I though I would ask Google some questions and come across this amazing page.

I am really hoping there are seasoned smokers that can help a newbie get up to temp and smoking.

I have tired pork loin whole chickens roast beef joint.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF from North Texas. There is tons of info in the forums and quite a few talented cooks on here. I have learned a lot from this group!

Smoke ON!
- Jason

Reactions: Pit pixie
Welcome aboard. What type of smoker do you have, and where are you located? The info will make it easier for folks to help you out.

Chris

Welcome aboard from Kent Island, Maryland. Your learning curve will flatten out as you read posts and get help here. 3/4s if not more of what I know came from here.

Welcome from Colorado.
Ask away we will get you squared away on that offset. Don’t get to concerned with swinging temps. Just keep it between 225 and 300 and everything will come out just fine.

Welcome from ND.
Lot of great people on here to get you on track.
The search forum at the top of the page may answer a few of your questions if needed, type in what your looking for or just feel free to ask.

Welcome aboard. What type of smoker do you have, and where are you located? The info will make it easier for folks to help you out.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I am in the south of the England.
Below is my little offset smoker, only a cheap one but i need to take it slow to start with. No point going in and spending loads of money on something untill i know i enjoy it and can actually use it 😁
20220710_123955_04.jpg

HI and welcome from the Ozarks!
I am new to smoking as well but I have had several successful smokes in a row so my confidence is high. The biggest deal with fire maintenance and temp control is a large coal base. I moved from charcoal briquettes to chunk charcoal and it made a huge difference. For the five and a half hour smoke, I used two chimneys full of charcoal. I also used several chunks and splits of wood.
It isn't as hard as you think it is.

My first recommendation would be to get a external thermometer. The therms that come with smokers are usually not very accurate. That and they're not close enough to the cooking grate to get a good reading.

Then I'd fire that baby up(empty no food) add a few chunks of wood or a split if that's what your using and let her rip. You'll want to see where/if she's leaking. Most leaks can be sealed up on the cheap.

You can also do the biscuit test to see where your hot spots are on the cooking grate. Just place a few cheap uncooked biscuits throughout the cooking grate while the smokers running. The hotspots will be where the biscuits are done first.

Finally a meatloaf would make for a good first cook. They're fairly cheap to make and can withstand variations in temp. Added bonus they taste great smoked.

Happy smoking
Chris

HI and welcome from the Ozarks!
I am new to smoking as well but I have had several successful smokes in a row so my confidence is high. The biggest deal with fire maintenance and temp control is a large coal base. I moved from charcoal briquettes to chunk charcoal and it made a huge difference. For the five and a half hour smoke, I used two chimneys full of charcoal. I also used several chunks and splits of wood.
It isn't as hard as you think it is.
I have done a few meats but finding I am going though too much wood.
I start with two chimney of briquette and then add wood every 20 to 30 minutes and coals, not at the seam time as the wood but my fire box vent is half open along with my exhaust being 1/4 open to help with the air flow.
By the sounds of things, fire vent should be fully open and the exhaust closed.

I have done a few meats but finding I am going though too much wood.
I start with two chimney of briquette and then add wood every 20 to 30 minutes and coals, not at the seam time as the wood but my fire box vent is half open along with my exhaust being 1/4 open to help with the air flow.
By the sounds of things, fire vent should be fully open and the exhaust closed.
I think it depends on the pit. I have my smoke stack wide open and control the draft using the fb door and damper. I still am learning my pit and the art, and ultimately, that’s what we need to do. Each pit is different and figuring out your own can be challenging

Hi all

I am new to smoking style bbqing.
After watching the way Americans smoke their foods I finally went and got myself a small offset smoker.

I have been playing around with it for a few weeks. Feeling like I am not getting right, the food is good but my temps are over the place and I have no idea if I am evening getting the fire side correct.
I though I would ask Google some questions and come across this amazing page.

I am really hoping there are seasoned smokers that can help a newbie get up to temp and smoking.

I have tired pork loin whole chickens roast beef joint.
Welcome aboard!

Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to more posts and pics. You are in the right place for advice And tips.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky