Hello ! New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boblhead

Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Morris / Sussex county NJ
I saw that Home Depot was going to run Black Friday deal on the Dual Fuel for 99.99.  I went and bought it a few days before, did the gasket mod, looked around and found an 8" square skillet.  (thanks to what I read here before hand).  On BF went and asked them to match price or do an immediate and purchase return and they did.  So based on the reviews and what I read on here, I felt I got a great deal on a decent unit.  :)

Smoked an 18lb turkey.  Result, part of the breast was a bit dry, others were moist.  Taste was out of this world.  Shortest time I've had left overs in decades.  :( 

2nd smoke was 7 lbs of pork chops I had landed for .99 / lb LOL 

Few questions:

-wood chips caught fire when is smoked the turnkey even on cast 8" square cast iron pan and soaked them before hand

-thing on side for tank.  Does anyone use?  If it's not useful what do I use to patch the screw holes?  Right now I use it to hook the regulator on when wheeling the grill.  :) 

-Seemed to go through chips fast.  What if I soak too many chips?  Can I let them dry and use them ?  Should I go with chunks instead ?

-Should I see constant smoke?  seemed I'd see smoke right after adding chips when I did my 18 lb turkey, when I did my pork chops I never saw smoke.  

Thanks all !  

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

I'm not familiar with your smoker, but hopefully someone will be along who is.

Al

Welcome to the forum!  I'm not familiar with your smoker either, but the chips shouldn't catch fire.  There is also no need to soak chips, the water doesn't penetrate the wood.  I use chunks and charcoal and the minion method.  Good to have you with us.

Mike

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a cool evening here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great              people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky