Hello from WI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo95

Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
Green Bay WI
Hello all. I'm new to the forum but have been a small home smoker. My last smoker was a homemade redneck smoker made from two 55 gal metal drums. I'm looking to get something along the lines of a Yoder offset or a Lang 36 or 48 patio or Lang 36 Hybrid Patio. Anyone with a Lang? Will the Reverse Flow plate easily come out of it? I was thinking of using it as a grill also. (remove the reverse flow plate and get more direct heat. It's either that or put a basket on top of the plate with coals for grilling. I live in Green Bay WI but am from Mississippi. (Real BBQ is lacking from the restaurants I've seen up here. I think there's a new one I may have to check out.

Hello all. I'm new to the forum but have been a small home smoker. My last smoker was a homemade redneck smoker made from two 55 gal metal drums. I'm looking to get something along the lines of a Yoder offset or a Lang 36 or 48 patio or Lang 36 Hybrid Patio. Anyone with a Lang? Will the Reverse Flow plate easily come out of it? I was thinking of using it as a grill also. (remove the reverse flow plate and get more direct heat. It's either that or put a basket on top of the plate with coals for grilling. I live in Green Bay WI but am from Mississippi. (Real BBQ is lacking from the restaurants I've seen up here. I think there's a new one I may have to check out.
Hello and welcome from, hopefully, a fellow Packer fan with ties also to Mississippi (attended USM).

Hello fellow newbie. I am also in Wisconsin by way of Texas. Kind of funny you mention real BBQ joints lacking up near Green Bay area. Feel the same, and I am attempting to remedy that.

I am down in Appleton and don't make it toward Green Bay that often, but just looking at their website looks really good. Also I have heard Joe's Texas Barbecue is good but I also have not tried it. The few times I have went up there to get some they were closed and also might have moved. One huge difference up here I have noticed though is unlike down in Texas, brisket up here doesn't seem to be a focus of much BBQ. Which to me is a travesty.

I agree. Casey’s BBQ in Egg Harbor is pretty good. I’ve done quite a few batches of ribs on my old smoker. When I get my new one I want to perfect brisket and chicken

Welcome to the site, glad to have ya join up.

Chris

. . . . Anyone with a Lang? Will the Reverse Flow plate easily come out of it? I was thinking of using it as a grill also. (remove the reverse flow plate and get more direct heat. It's either that or put a basket on top of the plate with coals for grilling.

Welcome to the Smoking Meat Forum family kilo95. I've been running a Lang 60 Deluxe for nearly 10 years now. The Reverse Flow plate is not removable; but if you want the additional option of being able to grill, I would suggest looking into getting a Lang with the Chargriller option.

I don't know any thing about Langs and that. Out of my league, but we got more then our share of Lang owners who I bet will chime right in. :)

I'm down in Neenah WI my self and can tell you if you get this way to hit up Parker John's. They do some killer BBQ. You know, what with us Wisconsinites having to learn to do briskets in blizzards, I'd like to think they do some darn good Que. They're my standard for my own ribs.

If you guys in WI ever want to do a meet up, I've been wanting to start a WI one for a while :)

Welcome to the Smoking Meat Forum family kilo95. I've been running a Lang 60 Deluxe for nearly 10 years now. The Reverse Flow plate is not removable; but if you want the additional option of being able to grill, I would suggest looking into getting a Lang with the Chargriller option.

I like the size of the Lang 48. The 36 seems a little small but the Lang 48 hybrid is a lot more expensive

The other option then is to get the 48 and a stand alone charcoal grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky