Hello from smoksignlr

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
Gang, I found this in another area on the board so I thought I would move it up here to "Roll Call". -Dutch
smoksignlr

New User
Total posts: 1
Donate
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:07 pm Post subject: Hello from smoksignlr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has been 10 years in the making but I finally have it done. Well it's smokin any ways. I have done some venison sausages in it and I have just pumped some pickle into some venison roasts and am maranating some jerky. Oh by the way hello guys. My name is Gary I am from Canada and it is going to - 20 tonight. Pardon me boys I'm just fumbling my way around. I have been learning alot so far. Thanks Gary

Gary, Welcome to the Smoking Meats Forum and I hope you will enjoy your time here.

WOW-10 years in the making, that's is awesome. I know I'd like to see some pics of it! I'm in the process of drawing up some plans for a stick burner-right now I'm undecided if I want to do an access door to the fire chamber located under the food chamber or go with an off-set.

Thanks for moving me Dutch. I was just out checkin on my stuff. I am marinating my stuff out in the garage. Some say to put jerky into plastic ziploc bags while marinating. If I leave my pieces layered in a plastic tray and mix them occassionally, they should be fine right?

Yep, that will work just fine.

That's the way I did it to until my wife found a marinating bag of jerky leaking all over in her 'just cleaned' fridge, so now she makes me DOUBLE bag it AND put it into a large bowl. :roll:

I will post pictures soon, as you can see I am still learning the forum. I had originally planned to have a burner inside the food chamber with a tray for sawdust or woodchips on top of the burner. Recently I had just decided to get it smokin. What I have done is buried a steel drum outside of the food chamber and future prep area. This was an inexpensive way to start So far I am happy with what I have done. Because the groung is now frozen solid I must get some sand from a gravel pit to finish covering it. This will prevent alot of heat loss. Right now I can get a steady 190 inside the food chamber with no problem. I am still experimenting with airflow and wood amount.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky