Hello from smoksignlr

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by dutch, Jan 6, 2006.

1. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Gang, I found this in another area on the board so I thought I would move it up here to "Roll Call". -Dutch
    smoksignlr

New User
    Total posts: 1
    Donate
    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:07 pm Post subject: Hello from smoksignlr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It has been 10 years in the making but I finally have it done. Well it's smokin any ways. I have done some venison sausages in it and I have just pumped some pickle into some venison roasts and am maranating some jerky. Oh by the way hello guys. My name is Gary I am from Canada and it is going to - 20 tonight. Pardon me boys I'm just fumbling my way around. I have been learning alot so far. Thanks Gary

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Gary, Welcome to the Smoking Meats Forum and I hope you will enjoy your time here.

WOW-10 years in the making, that's is awesome. I know I'd like to see some pics of it! I'm in the process of drawing up some plans for a stick burner-right now I'm undecided if I want to do an access door to the fire chamber located under the food chamber or go with an off-set.

3. smoksignlr

smoksignlr Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Thanks for moving me Dutch. I was just out checkin on my stuff. I am marinating my stuff out in the garage. Some say to put jerky into plastic ziploc bags while marinating. If I leave my pieces layered in a plastic tray and mix them occassionally, they should be fine right?

4. smoksignlr

don't be wowed by the time. Like I said it is just smokin. I still have lots to do.

5. dutch

Yep, that will work just fine.

That's the way I did it to until my wife found a marinating bag of jerky leaking all over in her 'just cleaned' fridge, so now she makes me DOUBLE bag it AND put it into a large bowl. :roll:

6. smoksignlr

I will post pictures soon, as you can see I am still learning the forum. I had originally planned to have a burner inside the food chamber with a tray for sawdust or woodchips on top of the burner. Recently I had just decided to get it smokin. What I have done is buried a steel drum outside of the food chamber and future prep area. This was an inexpensive way to start So far I am happy with what I have done. Because the groung is now frozen solid I must get some sand from a gravel pit to finish covering it. This will prevent alot of heat loss. Right now I can get a steady 190 inside the food chamber with no problem. I am still experimenting with airflow and wood amount.