Hello from okc

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cavemansmoking

Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
Hello folks,

I just a got a smoker on Black Friday and smoked chicken for the first time.

Now I'm having my first go at pork ribs and a Boston butt. I'm excited and nervous at the same time .Planning on doing a slow cook on both .I estimate 16 hours on the butt and about 4 on the ribs.

I don't like the " fall odd the bone" ribs but can't find any tips on how not to make them that way .

I am planning on just doing the four to five hour cook between 225 and 235 degrees and avoiding wrapping them .Will that help?

Also why take the membrane off the back of the ribs?

Thoughts suggestions?

Reactions: SonnyE
Welcome to SMF from Indiana! So what type of smoker did you buy?

Good luck with the ribs and butt! I’m no expert but the best way I have found to do ribs that have a little more bite on them is not to wrap. You can cook them until you like how bendy they get, or sticking a toothpick in them and checking for resistance. Al has a good technique on using a thermometer and checking temps so you know what degree will give you the tenderness that is perfect for your preference. I think removing the membrane helps to get more flavor, seasoning and smoke, into the bottom of the meat. Plus it’s chewy and gets stuck in my teeth lol. Some like to leave it on to help hold in moisture during the cook, then burn the membrane off on a super hot gas grill. Personally, I like to remove it. I hope this helps you. Enjoy the new smoker and Q, and remember, we love pictures of the food. The Q view is important!

Reactions: Cavemansmoking
If it's electric, (and maybe even if it isn't) You could do a modified 3,2,1 ribs method.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search/7538923/?q=3,2,1,+ribs&o=relevance

Or do a 2,2,1. ?

I like fall off the bone ribs. You just fill your face with succulent smoked rib meat. Clean bones!
But I've been warned DO NOT mess with The Ribs recipe. Which I do on my gasser grill. So I've been handcuffed to my grill for ribs. :emoji_laughing:
My buddy and I will love some ribs any way. That's him in my avatar. :emoji_yum:

Welcome to the site, glad to have you join up. When doing your ribs - I think the temp for non-fall off the bone is 190 to 195*. You can use the bend test if you don't have a probe small enough to check for temps. Just pick up the rib about 1/3 of the way down with your tongs. It should freely bend to about 45*.

Chris

Welcome to the site, glad to have you join up. When doing your ribs - I think the temp for non-fall off the bone is 190 to 195*. You can use the bend test if you don't have a probe small enough to check for temps. Just pick up the rib about 1/3 of the way down with your tongs. It should freely bend to about 45*.
Chris

How done are they at 50°?
This is so confusing!

Mornin Chris! :D

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! So what type of smoker did you buy?

Good luck with the ribs and butt! I’m no expert but the best way I have found to do ribs that have a little more bite on them is not to wrap. You can cook them until you like how bendy they get, or sticking a toothpick in them and checking for resistance. Al has a good technique on using a thermometer and checking temps so you know what degree will give you the tenderness that is perfect for your preference. I think removing the membrane helps to get more flavor, seasoning and smoke, into the bottom of the meat. Plus it’s chewy and gets stuck in my teeth lol. Some like to leave it on to help hold in moisture during the cook, then burn the membrane off on a super hot gas grill. Personally, I like to remove it. I hope this helps you. Enjoy the new smoker and Q, and remember, we love pictures of the food. The Q view is important!

Good morning. I purchased thr Oklahoma Joe's vertical off set smoker .The old sick burner .

How done are they at 50°?
This is so confusing!

Mornin Chris! :D

Morning Sonny or should I say good evening now.:oops:(I can't even see what this emoji is doing, but I liked it).

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky