Hello from Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MikeW88

Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I just bought a Masterbuilt propane smoker model number 20050211.

Excited to start reading and learning.

Any tips on mods I need to make to this model of smoker to make it better?

I am going to try and make some pulled pork on Saturday.

Last edited:
I'm not a gasser, so no advice from me. But welcome to the site and good luck with that PP.

Chris

Reactions: MikeW88
Congrats on the new smoker and hobby!!! My recommendation is to use it without any mods at first (don't forget to season it) and see how it works for you. After you have a couple cooks under your belt, start thinking about things that you would like to change and/or make better, then do some research. Someone has no doubt had the same issue and solved the problem for you.

Looking forward to pictures of your first PP this weekend.

What he said. Standard mod to that smoker is the CI pan and some do a needle valve. Smoked some seriously good stuff on it but when regulator line got worn I decided to move to try a MES and like it better. Have a remote therm setup yet? You need one. Get Jeff's rub and sauce recipes and do the 5 day e-course too. Must haves.

For PP: 275F on oak to 205IT. For 7-8lbs I'd say 12-14hours. Gonna be a long day... Feed it a chunk an hour or chips every 30m. Look into the AMNPS if you like set and forget but my gasser always needed a tweak now and then to get temps inline. She liked to run hot (needle valve would help).

Welcome glad to have you on board.

1st replace the chip pan with a 10" cast iron fry pan.
2nd don't relied on the thermometer in the door it most likely is off.
3rd keep top vent open

I have master Built 40" for over 6 years now. Smoke on and enjoy.

Warren

2BC04BB1-F89A-4BE5-B2C6-B23AC302F089.jpeg
Did chicken breasts instead. Did a dry rub and then 250 for 2 hours with hickory.

Welcome from “the state up north”
Because you are a fellow smoking brethren I’ll forgo our rivalry. :D
I had a propane Masterbuilt similar to yours for many years and turned out many good meals.
I found that maintaining a temp can be a challenge in colder weather, much more so than my offset to my surprise. In fairness I did no mods nor insulated it. (Didn’t do any research for some reason).
But here are two main things I found, but YMMV.
First don’t soak the wood chips.
I now know that it produces “bad” smoke, I thought white billowing smoke was the goal. Oops.
Also, wet chips causes havoc on the chip pan and bottom (rust, even cleaning good).
I went with dry chips and got much better results.
Second, invest in a good remote thermometer, I now have a Smoke as well as an Inkbird. I didn’t have one and the built in one that comes with unit has issues. At least mine did, had to replace twice.
With practice it will give you many of great meals, and based on your photo, it has started!

I'm not sure if they have updated the chip pan. The original one that came with my smoker set over the burner opening and had holes in it that allowed the chips to catch fire. Simple solution most of us have done is use a 10" cast iron fry pan in place of that pan.

Warren

I'm not sure if they have updated the chip pan. The original one that came with my smoker set over the burner opening and had holes in it that allowed the chips to catch fire. Simple solution most of us have done is use a 10" cast iron fry pan in place of that pan.

Warren
Thanks. I added 10 inch cast iron pan to top of chip pan. That worked great.

So far I have smoked

1. Chicken breasts
2. Brisket
3. Pork Butt
4. Pork Loin

All these came our great!

I am loving this smoker.

The 12 hour pork butt....... staying up to 3am waiting for 199 degrees was a rookie mistake. Now I know I need to start very early in the morning.

I think the family has enjoyed the pork loin the best, sliced thin on a bun with KC bbq sauce.

I have used the yellow mustard method applied to the meat and then used Weber Rubs with some added brown sugar.

Any suggestions on variations or rubs / techniques etc for me to try?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky