1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hello from Ohio

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by MikeW88, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MikeW88

MikeW88 Newbie

I just bought a Masterbuilt propane smoker model number 20050211.

Excited to start reading and learning.

Any tips on mods I need to make to this model of smoker to make it better?

I am going to try and make some pulled pork on Saturday.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

I'm not a gasser, so no advice from me. But welcome to the site and good luck with that PP.

Chris

MikeW88 likes this.
  3. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Congrats on the new smoker and hobby!!! My recommendation is to use it without any mods at first (don't forget to season it) and see how it works for you. After you have a couple cooks under your belt, start thinking about things that you would like to change and/or make better, then do some research. Someone has no doubt had the same issue and solved the problem for you.

Looking forward to pictures of your first PP this weekend.

MikeW88 likes this.
  4. muskyjunky

muskyjunky Fire Starter

Welcome from fellow Buckeye!

MikeW88 likes this.
  5. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

What he said. Standard mod to that smoker is the CI pan and some do a needle valve. Smoked some seriously good stuff on it but when regulator line got worn I decided to move to try a MES and like it better. Have a remote therm setup yet? You need one. Get Jeff's rub and sauce recipes and do the 5 day e-course too. Must haves.

For PP: 275F on oak to 205IT. For 7-8lbs I'd say 12-14hours. Gonna be a long day... Feed it a chunk an hour or chips every 30m. Look into the AMNPS if you like set and forget but my gasser always needed a tweak now and then to get temps inline. She liked to run hot (needle valve would help).

MikeW88 likes this.
  6. jfsjazz

jfsjazz Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Welcome from Canton!!

MikeW88 likes this.
  7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Welcome glad to have you on board.

1st replace the chip pan with a 10" cast iron fry pan.
    2nd don't relied on the thermometer in the door it most likely is off.
    3rd keep top vent open

I have master Built 40" for over 6 years now. Smoke on and enjoy.

Warren

MikeW88 likes this.
  8. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! Good luck with the new smoker, and the pulled pork!

9. HalfSmoked

MikeW88 Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

10. MikeW88

MikeW88 Newbie

2BC04BB1-F89A-4BE5-B2C6-B23AC302F089.jpeg Did chicken breasts instead. Did a dry rub and then 250 for 2 hours with hickory.

11. MikeW88

MikeW88 Newbie

Meijer has pork butt on sale 149 lb. got a few.

12. HalfSmoked

Man that looks like something I'd eat. :D

Warren

MikeW88 likes this.
  13. Danno44

Danno44 Fire Starter

Welcome from “the state up north”
    Because you are a fellow smoking brethren I’ll forgo our rivalry. :D
    I had a propane Masterbuilt similar to yours for many years and turned out many good meals.
    I found that maintaining a temp can be a challenge in colder weather, much more so than my offset to my surprise. In fairness I did no mods nor insulated it. (Didn’t do any research for some reason).
    But here are two main things I found, but YMMV.
    First don’t soak the wood chips.
    I now know that it produces “bad” smoke, I thought white billowing smoke was the goal. Oops.
    Also, wet chips causes havoc on the chip pan and bottom (rust, even cleaning good).
    I went with dry chips and got much better results.
    Second, invest in a good remote thermometer, I now have a Smoke as well as an Inkbird. I didn’t have one and the built in one that comes with unit has issues. At least mine did, had to replace twice.
    With practice it will give you many of great meals, and based on your photo, it has started!

MikeW88 likes this.
  14. HalfSmoked

I'm not sure if they have updated the chip pan. The original one that came with my smoker set over the burner opening and had holes in it that allowed the chips to catch fire. Simple solution most of us have done is use a 10" cast iron fry pan in place of that pan.

Warren

MikeW88 likes this.
  15. MikeW88

MikeW88 Newbie

Thanks. I added 10 inch cast iron pan to top of chip pan. That worked great.

16. HalfSmoked

MikeW88 Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren