Hello from Manila

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chinesebookie

Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Philippines
I've lived in the Philippines for 8 years, previously lived in Chicago. I first discovered brisket working as a consultant in San Antonio and coming up to Austin for the weekend. If you avoided the interstates, the state and county roads and roadhouses were fascinating. Stopping at antique and junk shops, and the bbq shacks along the way made me realize there was more to BBQ. The big-a** sliced brisket sandwiches on white bread, smokey hot pinto beans and french fries dripping with lard were my favorite. Austin was one of the music capitals of the world and the bbq, beer and music were the best. This was in the 80's and early 90's. I would come back one or twice a year up till about 2007.

Chicago has BBQ, especially on the south side, but I also discovered Memphis pit bbq, KC bbq, NC bbq, Atlanta, Florida...everybody's got their own take on it. And they're all good, but I'm especially partial to Memphis rubs and sauces and Austin brisket.

Nowadays, because I own a condo in Makati City, I bbq, grill and smoke on a two burner gas grill. Not ideal, but I'm moving to the suburbs where I'l l be moving to charcoal and wood. I'm having a steel smoker fabricated and will also build a grill in the back yard. Having the kitchen remodeled and extended by about 17 square meters so you can sit in the back yard, drinking a beer at a counter that opens into the kitchen.  All the modern appliances plus a grill and a smoker...heaven.

Finding wood has been something I'm looking at. I've exhausted the Aces and TrueValues in the area to buy their bagged woods, so I need to buy local. Here is what I've found so far: mahogany, acacia, mango and coconut husk. No Oak, Hickory, Apple, Mesquite, etc. are readily available. 

Just received, from an importer, 30kg of USDA Choice Swift packers cut (NAMPS 120) brisket. Just put one on the grill this morning and am 6 hours into the smoke. 

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try to keep you guys updated on my smoking activities here over the next few months.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great                   people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

I've lived in the Philippines for 8 years, previously lived in Chicago. I first discovered brisket working as a consultant in San Antonio and coming up to Austin for the weekend. If you avoided the interstates, the state and county roads and roadhouses were fascinating. Stopping at antique and junk shops, and the bbq shacks along the way made me realize there was more to BBQ. The big-a** sliced brisket sandwiches on white bread, smokey hot pinto beans and french fries dripping with lard were my favorite. Austin was one of the music capitals of the world and the bbq, beer and music were the best. This was in the 80's and early 90's. I would come back one or twice a year up till about 2007.

Chicago has BBQ, especially on the south side, but I also discovered Memphis pit bbq, KC bbq, NC bbq, Atlanta, Florida...everybody's got their own take on it. And they're all good, but I'm especially partial to Memphis rubs and sauces and Austin brisket.

Nowadays, because I own a condo in Makati City, I bbq, grill and smoke on a two burner gas grill. Not ideal, but I'm moving to the suburbs where I'l l be moving to charcoal and wood. I'm having a steel smoker fabricated and will also build a grill in the back yard. Having the kitchen remodeled and extended by about 17 square meters so you can sit in the back yard, drinking a beer at a counter that opens into the kitchen. All the modern appliances plus a grill and a smoker...heaven.

Finding wood has been something I'm looking at. I've exhausted the Aces and TrueValues in the area to buy their bagged woods, so I need to buy local. Here is what I've found so far: mahogany, acacia, mango and coconut husk. No Oak, Hickory, Apple, Mesquite, etc. are readily available.

Just received, from an importer, 30kg of USDA Choice Swift packers cut (NAMPS 120) brisket. Just put one on the grill this morning and am 6 hours into the smoke.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try to keep you guys updated on my smoking activities here over the next few months.

Looks like you have things figured out. I think by now you have moved in with better BBQ setup. I hope this reply finds you well. If you are still looking for wood I can share some of my stocks I still have from the Holidays. I have PLENTY of White OAK from eastern Europe.

Reactions: Deeez
Welcome from RI.

I spent a few years in San Antonio myself. Loved getting off the interstate,found some great bbq and Mexican joints. Had some great times up in Austin especially on 6th street.

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky