hello from georgia!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hensleyhouse

Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
hello everyone, i live about an hour north of atlanta. i am fairly new to smoking but i am totally addicted! i started out with a hand me down brinkman watersmoker, that i quickly started making jerky on. i recently picked up a charbroil offset smoker...i know its not the most fancy or the largest, but with minor modifications i have made some seriously tasty meals on it. lastnight i smoked a 3lb turkey breast and i was the best turkey i have ever put in my mouth and the wife couldnt stop raving about it either. i wanted to take the time to say thank you to everyone on this forum for sharing tips and tricks on making the best smoked food possible. i love reading all the treads on peoples success stories and how soo many of you have jumped in to give the best handy advice i have seen. im looking forward to spending lots of time smoking and becoming a positive member here at SMF!

Welcome to the site hensley. Glad you found the addiction and are loving this site.
No worries on how fancy your smoker may or may not be, the important thing is that you are smoking some delicious food.

Noticed in your pic the smoke was flowing a bit heavy, one thing to know is you should always keep your exhaust fully open to allow the smoke to flow out easily, another thing I have found that makes a HUGE difference is to burn my wood and get it nice and black before I toss it into the smoker and keep it close to the main heat source but not touching until it is up to full temp, this reduces flare ups as well.

What kind of wood were you using, actually, don't tell us, let's see who can figure it out since that was a good pic.
Pretty sure it isn't cherry, the center look too light. Also doesn't look like apple to me, possibly hickory?

Anyone else wanna take a guess?

Don't tell us until someone guesses right
tongue.gif

First off welcome Hensley to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. I also suggest signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse it contains lots of good info and is free. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to SMF. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the forums and thanks for sharing the turkey Q-view!

Welcome to the SMF. Lots of info here and a load of great people to share with. Be sure to post often and don't be stingy with the pictures. By the way ... my gues is that you are smoking with hickory.

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Greetings 'Mr. Hensley', and Welcome to the 'community'.

Enjoy your stay at
SMF
Settle in and have fun.
Any questions, plenty of experts... and make yourself at home.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

welcome_clipart.gif
from Iowa. Hope you enjoy your stay. Learn lots and then help to guide other SMF members on their smoking journeys. This is a great place to perfect your craft with tons of really great folks who honestly want you to succeed.

Welcome new member to the family. glad to hear that the addiction of smoking has a good grasp on you. Don't fight it, it will just get worse. Just let that warm smoked meat slowly travel down your throat to your hungry stomach and everything will be okay.

sorry its been a few days since i have been able to get on the forum....i had a few people guess as to what type of wood i had sitting on my smoker. it was plum wood that i was lucky enough to get from a friends back yard, i also was using apple wood from another friends yard. thanks for all the replies fellow smokers. i hope to put pictures of my smoker mods up soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky