Hello from Covington, GA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdp00

Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Covington is a little town about 40 miles due East of Atlanta, GA.  It's a very quaint, movie friendly town.  Currently the hit "Vampire Diaries" is being filmed here.  There are vampires all over town.

We moved here 6 years ago from the ‘burbs of another metro Atlanta locale.  My wife was the campus president of a new location of a multi-campus two-year college and wanted to live nearby.  We bought an old house originally built in 1892 and completely restored it.  It’s in the downtown historic district.

In our old house I grilled on a natural gas unit on the deck about 30 feet off the ground.  I didn’t have much room and I couldn’t use charcoal because I couldn’t dispose of the ashes without carrying them through the house.  I really wasn’t very good at it, or very interested.

Anyway, after we moved to Covington I contracted some cancers over a three year period and took medical retirement.  I decided to really learn how to cook, both inside and outside the house.  I’ll skip the inside the house cooking and try to make this a short story and not a novel.  My first purchase was a charcoal Char-Griller barrel grill.  Now, burning meat on the grill and drinking beer while doing it are certainly pleasurable activities in themselves, but I wanted to learn how to really cook.  I was doing O.K. until I went to a regional cook-off called “Sherman’s Last Burning”.  The event is named, of course, after the scourge of the South, General William T. Sherman who burned Atlanta during the late, great “War of the Northern Aggression” as we call it.  That’s when I discovered “smoking”.  Those dudes were cooking all night and turning out some wonderful stuff.  I gotta get one of those things!

I went to the internet and researched smokers and determined that, for me, the Weber 18” Smokey Mountain was the right fit.  I joined their forum and the rest was, as they say, history.  I am not going to get into a contest but people tell me that my ribs and butts are AS GOOD, not BETTER, than anyone else’s.

Later I purchased a Green Egg (large) and joined their forum.  Just for kicks (and for tailgating) I bought a Weber Que which is a cool little grill that operates on small gas canisters.

Somewhere along the way I got directed to Jeff’s newsletter.  I started saving them and I’ve cooked about half of his recipes.  The final piece was buying his rub and sauce.  To be truthful I haven’t made the sauce; I serve no sauce with my ribs and butts.  The rub is the bomb.  I use it exclusively on my ribs and especially on chicken.  I’m convinced it’s the best for those two pieces of meat.  Since I am brand new here and Jeff is going to read this before he posts it I’ll not comment on what rub I put on my butts.  Maybe later.

Anyway, I’m glad to be here.  My name is Jonathan and I’m looking forward to trading some tips with you guys.

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

I sure am glad that Sherman gave Lincoln Savannah as a Christmas present!

Hey Jonathan!!!! I'm just around the corner in McDonough (Kelleytown area).  Welcome to the SMF forum.  There are quite a few of us Georgians in here, and quite a few WSM's also.

I bet the "Sherman's Last Burning" was a great over-nighter.  Nothing like cold beer and good stories while the aroma of TBS wafts all around. You a serious buff of the "War of Northern Aggression" as it's commonly known around Jonesboro (or as it was spelled in the day, Jonesborough). 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky