Hello from Buffalo, New York

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerbear66

Original poster
Hello everyone, my name is Jerry and I live in Alden, New York a small suburb east of Buffalo. I am a complete noob to smoking and grilling.   My wife Lynn bought me a entry level smoker for my 45th birthday last week.  It is a Master Forge cylindrical or bullet smoker with a water pan.  After assembling and seasoning the smoker I made my maiden voyage on Sunday July 17th.  We bought a three - four pound whole chicken which I brined the day before.  I used a simple brine with salt, brown sugar, worchestire and spices.  I put a dry rub on it the morning of the smoking and let it rest until the afternoon.  I started some coals in the the chimney that was also a birthday gift and placed the chicken on a vertical stand.  I added a couple of chunks of apple wood, another gift and placed the chicken on the lower grate above the water pad.  Three hours later I had an internal temperature of 163 and Lynn declared it done!  I couldn't believe how tender and juicy the chicken was.  I am now getting ready to attempt a beef brisket tomorrow Sunday July 24th.  Wish me luck.  I am hooked.  This is a fun and interesting way to prepare good food.

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

Jer hello from a fellow New Yorker! I highly recommend all the links craig provided and def take the e-course I just finished my reading on it today I've been doing this stuff for a couple years but I gotta tell ya I learned more then I thght I knew by reading throughout the site. Good luck with the brisket and make sure you post some Q-view!

Josh

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to  your first qview. 
icon14.gif

welcome1.gif
Buddy, you

ll find anything you need here,.Lots of info.

Good first shot at smoking with that chix.Practice and keep reading here and you'll be doing

great soon...

Have fun and.....

Welcome JerBear !!!

You're doing great for a "complete Noob"!!

I hope you've been reading up on Briskets.

Not to try to scare you, but I would have been afraid to make a Brisket my second smoke, without a whole lot of studying & planning.

Best of luck to you, 

We're all here if & when you need us!

Bear

welcome Jerry!  I'm right up the road in Rochester.  This site is great.  I've learned alot in a short time.  Enjoy and happy smoking.

Welcome to our SMF family!  I, like many, are originally from NY; Craig and I grew up together (after the 4th grade) in Adams Center, just south of Watertown where my dad owned and operated a family meat market.   

I know Buffalo well, at least Roswell Memorial Hosp.; my wife was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma, (at that time) a rare and highly metastatic (i.e. deadly) cancer with only 6 weeks to live, guaranteed not to see her next birthday.  There were only two places that provided treatment; one was at Roswell and the other was a Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for that deadly disease. That was in 1992. It was a 220 mi. trip each way every week for 2 years, then once a month, then every two months, for a total of 10 years before she could be declared 'in remission'.   She is still here to kick me today thanks to the doctors there!  (As you know, Roswell is the famous cancer hospital that such celebrities as Yul Brynner, Gilda Radner, and many others from all over the world came to for cancer treatments!).  For you being a part of that community, I thank you for your tax dollars keeping that place in business, believe me!!!  Thank you so much!  She was handed a death sentence and came out alive.

We all welcome you and are here to help in any way we can!  Already lots of good info here, but there's always that new question and don't ever be afraid to ask it, 10 to 100 or more other people want to know too!

Last edited:
Welcome to the family!!!

Make sure and allow plenty of time for that briskey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky