Hello From AZ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shaggy2061

Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Hello From Sorta Lovely Tempe, AZ
New to smoker game here, but long time Weber kettle grill lover and user.
Going to have upgrade to having a dedicated smoker.Due to my EXTREMELY limited budget have to DIY it in many small steps!
Looking more for vertical space as my wife wants to smoke sausage and cheese, which we are making it home!
SO naturally i am looking to the interwebs for help never built a smokehouse before!
Some things i have to consider are as follows!
1 .EXTREMELY limited budget . Will have to due this in many small steps over the next 6 months to a year!
2. Has to be on wheels due to HOA BS
3. Need to be taller to hang 2 to 3 foot sausages
4. A Quasi disabled gimp like me will have to be able to wheel it around somewhat easily!
5. Everything i did not think of goes here

Below is a picture of what i was sorta hoping was a rough draft
smoker.JPG

Which leads me to the following Questions
1. Would this wood (cedar V grove panls here work for the Walls and roof https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-3-5-in-x-8-ft-Cedar-V-Plank-6-Pieces-14-sq-ft-8203015/202106509 ?
2. Given the 2' by 4' foot print at 4' tall would this fire box work https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gr...Grill-Side-Fire-Box-in-Black-E82424/310668067 ?
3. Would good old fashioned NON treated 2"x4" work for the frame to attach the panels to ?
4. Last but not least how would you attach firebox to Smokehouse?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, we have many builders on site. They will be more then willing to help you out. Sorry I'm not a builder.

Chris

Welcome from ND.
Not sure what your budget is, but this would fill your needs. May have just about as much stuck into a build. Unless you are wanting a stick burner. I'm sure others will chime in with great ideas.

Welcome aboard, we have many builders on site. They will be more then willing to help you out. Sorry I'm not a builder.

Chris
Thank you

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota.
Hello Again From AZ
Welcome from ND.
Not sure what your budget is, but this would fill your needs. May have just about as much stuck into a build. Unless you are wanting a stick burner. I'm sure others will chime in with great ideas.
Yeah that one breaks the budget.. We'll never have that much free cash at one time( till a big thing happens we are working at). I gotta do this in steps costing around 30 a month at the most! Gotta be charcoal as not allowed to install electric outlets out side with out approval process! Price we pay for living in Mobil Home Park.
That is why it has to be on wheels to "skirt" by the rules and not be considered a shed or structure!
Now when we can afford to move this House to out 40 Acres in the SE then That would be a killer option. Thank you for pointing it out.
Welcome from South Carolina!
Greetings

Reactions: Winterrider
Welcome from Wisconsin. Lots of great folks and advice to be had here.

A barrel smoker may be just what you are looking for. Can be made easily with salvage parts. They are solid performers.

Just have to love all the freedoms that HOAs give you. :emoji_anguished: :emoji_wink:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: MJB05615
JC makes a pretty good point. A barrel cooker sounds like it would be perfect for what you are wanting to do. Can be made for next to nothing out of salvage parts and lots of space to hang meats. Travis Sowsage Sowsage smokes on one, puts out some great stuff, and might be able to give you some pointers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky