Hello from an Icelandic guy living in the Finnish Lapland(arctic) region.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Issikka

Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
Howdy!

Just got registerd today here on this forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I am a farm raised hunter that has always loved cooking.

Originally from Iceland, with strong ties to the USA through immediate family and work.

Live in the middle of nowhere at the arctic circle in Finland.

Just recently got my first Weber(had various brands and types of grills in the past but never the Weber kettle grill) with the new low-and-slow feature and it is making it so easy to do all kinds of smoking so i find myself seeking more and more information and that brought me here.

Welcome aboard, look forward to some Finnish take on smoked foods
I sure can share some, am still learning about Finnish food culture after having lived here for 10 years now.
I grew up with mainly Icelandic and North American food culture influences, but some of what we eat in Iceland is probably very different from the American perspective, we for instance eat both horse and whale still.

My earliest smoking memories are helping my dad smoke home made horse sausages and lamb back on the farm(dedicated smoke house where we used for fuel something called "tað" in Icelandic which is the down trodden shit and hay that builds up inside the sheep house over winter and has been dried).

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I'm pretty much at the opposite end of the weather spectrum from you, tho I do have a Webber kettle and the Slow-n-Sear, the Vortex also. If fact I'll be using the SnS in a little while on a teriyaki pork tenderloin, it will be 113º here this afternoon. RAY

Reactions: Issikka
it will be 113º here this afternoon. RAY
That to me is "i missed a turn somewhere and ended up in hell" kind of temperature!

It's humid here in the land of 10,000 lakes and endless swamps so anything over 90 F/30 C feels quite warm, and with me being part polar bear anything over 15 C/60 F starts taking it's toll on me.

I am best at between 5 and -20 C / 40 and -5 F temps but will take -40 C/F over plus 40C/105F any day!

Welcome. Looking forward to unique foods you cook. Please post anything not just stuff you smoke...JJ

Reactions: TNJAKE and Issikka
Welcome from Wisconsin. Looking forward to seeing your future BBQ cooks.

I love the cold weather in Wisconsin. You can keep those 100 degree days.... :emoji_cat:

This is a great site with lots of wonderful smoking enthusiasts who are always ready to lend a hand. This is by far my favorite forum on any subject.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Issikka
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky