Hello from Alabama

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Alabama (near Auburn)
Hi all, I've been a member for awhile but never introduced myself and just recently got back in here talking and looking at all the delicious pictures and recipes. I have a OK Joe smoker for about 2 yrs now. I'm still searching for the perfect brisket. It seems like a bridge too far with a stick burner but mostly b/c I like to partake in the barley and hops during the smoke haha.

I retired out of the Army after 23 great years and currently working at a Hotel on an Army post. I live in Alabama just outside of Auburn. I have a lot of questions about smoking and I'm learning every time I log in here. Thanks and good luck on your next smoke!

-Brad

Reactions: kit s
Welcome welcome,
Get in when you can and post some food pics. Smoker pics.. pet and family pics.

Have fun!

beer2.gif

Reactions: banderson7474
Too funny, I'm right down the road in the wildberry division. My wife use to live in Haley Wood when I met her. Dragged her all over the country and we end up retiring about 2 miles away from her old house.

Yeah you are across from "The Store" lol. We bought in off of LR 2086 last yr. I work in Auburn with about a 30 min drive. Small world lol.

I like it out there for sure. Maybe we can get together, have an adult bev and talk on things lol. Always up to meet a fellow smoker

Welcome from WI and thank you four service!

<At least you don't combine barley and hops with a turkey deep fryer. Been there, done that. I remembered King of the Hill, me and my friend tried to deep fry a beer. I discovered angry wife yelling works even when not married to said angry wife. Also the fire department laughing at us>

WOW 23 years of service. You are the man! Thanks for sticking it out. You are the backbone of our military. Welcome aboard to the best smoking forum I could find. All questions are welcome and somebody is bound to have an answer for whatever you wanted to know. I am also an OKJ Highland owner and, like you, I'm still working on the brisket technique. My next go around is going to be for the 4th. Hang in there and you will get to the brisket promised land someday. Have a good one.

George

WOW 23 years of service. You are the man! Thanks for sticking it out. You are the backbone of our military. Welcome aboard to the best smoking forum I could find. All questions are welcome and somebody is bound to have an answer for whatever you wanted to know. I am also an OKJ Highland owner and, like you, I'm still working on the brisket technique. My next go around is going to be for the 4th. Hang in there and you will get to the brisket promised land someday. Have a good one.

George
Good luck! I wish I could put it in the night before around 10pm but unfortunately I need sleep. Maybe I should buy an electric smoker just for briskets!!

Good luck! I wish I could put it in the night before around 10pm but unfortunately I need sleep. Maybe I should buy an electric smoker just for briskets!!
Yeah well, I'm planning on staying up all day on the 4th. I will put mine on about midnight and see how things go. My last brisket was about 15.5 pounds before trimming. That took 17 hours on the smoker. I did wrap that one in butcher paper. This time to do something different I am going to do the foil tray wrap. I'm pretty sure that if I tried to convince my wife that I needed an electric smoker she would just look at me funny and the work really comes to mind.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky