Hello from a new gal in town

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by fl girl, May 12, 2012.

1. Hi all!  I came to this site looking for where to begin on my quest to buy a electric smoker and found there is so much information for someone who has never smoked before.  I can't wait to buy a smoker and get started!

2. Welcome to the journey!  I'm new here too, so, we'll learn together :)

Rich

3. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hello and [​IMG]to SMF - glad to have you here 

4. Sounds great!

5. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]  to SMF from Louisiana

6. Ok...I bought an electric smoker...the Masterbuilt 30".  I didn't want to spend too much money at first.  I've heard that there is a hot spot on the right???  Is that correct?  Also, someone said to put a tile over where the chips go?  If so, how will I get smoke?  Also, I ordered it though Amazon and they have a back order so I have no idea when I'll get it.  Bummer.  Any info would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!!!

Fl Girl

7. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Welcome Fl. Girl.

I have the 40", and I placed a aluminum foil covered tile over the heating element to act as a heat sink and to prevent flaring.  It also helps minimize the so called "hot spot".  There are people that have had to re-wire after a burn out in the wiring on some older models, but it is a simple fix, using high temperature wire an new connectors. 

I personally use an Amaze-N-Pellet Smoker to assure adequate smoke and have had no problems.

Both are Good products, and provide good customer service.

In any event, Good Luck!!![​IMG]

8. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]  TO SMF

9. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF Family...That MES is a good choice. I have a 40" and love it. Here is a pic of the Tile placement and the Awsome A-MAZE-N Products AMNPS Pellet Smoke Generator at the bottom of the smoker. The MES does a good job making smoke at the typical 225*F we use but when you get into it and want to do Cheese and Sausage you need the AMNPS to do long Cold and Cool (100-180*F) smokes. Additionally the MES chip tray has to be reloaded every 30 minutes or so the AMNPS burns up to 10 hours per load...JJ

[​IMG]

10. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF and congrats on the MES purchase. I would suggest signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse while your waiting for the smoker to arrive. The Ecourse is free and has some great info to help you get started

11. WElcome............glad you joined our group...........[​IMG]

12. Thanks for all your replies! 

13. How do I sign up?

14. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

15. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

You can send a Private Message  to TulsaJeff or email him from the smoking meat site.  You can do a search on "E-course" on the search box above as well.  Good luck.

16. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

[​IMG]howdy

17. I have a question.  I am seasoning my new masterbuilt 30 electric smoker.  Should I wet the chips or put them in dry?  Any help would be great.

Thanks

18. Hello Fl Girl and welcome to SMF!

It appears you have received your new smoker...congratulations! I have an MES 40 and love it. I don't soak my chips when smoking foods because when you do and put them in the chip tray, they tend to just smolder and create more moisture inside the smoker. That's just my $.02!

19. Thanks.  The instructions didn't say to wet them, but I wasn't sure.