Hello Everyone!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deanbob64

Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
White Bear Lake MInnesota
Hi I am new to the forum.  Just acquired a Oklahoma Joe Vertical Smoker. I live in Minnesota and am looking forward to many years of smoking pleasure.

I am fairly new to the smoking scene. Last night tried the smoker for the first time.  I did two racks of spare ribs, a whole pork loin, and a whole turkey. The loin turned out amazing. The rest turned out OK. Tried the 3-2-1 method on the ribs but I think I got a little too much smoke or too much temp. There was a black coating on them. I was able to keep the temp between 200 and 250.

I used Mesquite for the first couple hours and then switched to Pecan. Pretty sure it was a fire issue. Next time I think I will let the fire go a little longer before starting. Hoping for more coals when I start smoking.

Welcome Deanbob64. There is a wealth of info and experience here on this forum. Everyone is willing to help. So when have questions don't hesitate to post it. Everyone is willing to help.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

welcome to SMF. Sounds like your on the right path to smokey goodness.

Welcome aboard! Looks like your off to a good start. I'de suggest smoking one thing at a time. Keep it simple for a while with cheap cuts of meat until you get to learn the smoker. Take notes of everything you do so you can benefit from your own experiences. If you don't have some good probe type thermometers, get a couple. They will help you monitor whats going on in the chamber and in the meat. Happy smokin'..

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Dean to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Welcome aboard!  Sounds like you have a handle on making some adjustments.  If you ever have questions don't hesitate to ask.  

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hello, and welcome to the SMF. Looks like you're getting into the act of outdoor enjoyment. You don't need a lot of smoke, just a whisper will give you that smokey flavor. Too much smoke can create creosote ,which is a health hazard. It can give a black coating and a bitter taste to food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky