Hello All

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bruce M.

Original poster
May 26, 2022
New here, new to smoking meat and new to having time to do all these things since I'm also newly retired.
I'm from the Catskills region in NYS and just purchased my first smoker, an OK JOE's Highland, I know it's not the best but it's the best I could do in my budget and I think it'll serve me fine.
I did some of the mods that are suggested like sealing the lids with high temp wool, also sealed the firebox to CC mating with high temp RTV.
I also bought a 9" pie plate and cut 1/3 of it off to make a plenum for the exhaust 1" off the grates.
I just finished seasoning it and have purchased some cornish hens for my first smoke this Wednesday
Here's a pic of her finishing the seasoning process. seems as though one of my hens wants to try it out first, she keeps going by it.

Anyway thanks for having me here and I look forward to sponging any and all information from all of you.
Bruce.

Attachments

• DFD7044E-01E6-4244-ABFE-AE439316578E.jpeg
    DFD7044E-01E6-4244-ABFE-AE439316578E.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 15
  • FB6DAB47-1426-451B-98B2-A87F04EF6AF3.jpeg
    FB6DAB47-1426-451B-98B2-A87F04EF6AF3.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Sven Svensson
Welcome aboard and good luck with the hens.

Chris

Reactions: Bruce M.
Welcome from lower NY (Long Island) you put enough time into any smoker and you will make it work. There is a wealth of info from the members here and they will guide you in so many ways.

Welcome from pa , great site here. Just be careful not to over smoke your hens poultry takes on lots of smoke quickly.

Welcome from pa , great site here. Just be careful not to over smoke your hens poultry takes on lots of smoke quickly.
Thanks for that tip. I'll be using apple wood chips. Just from using the seasoning run as a test run I find that I get plenty of smoke with just one chip at a time.

@ Bearcarver

I see you're a 9th inf. Div. alumni.
I was also, much after you (84-85 for the 9th). Then 2nd inf. Div for me after that.
Thank You sir.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky